how long can you leave a ML loaded?

MTW

do any of you guys leave your ML loaded, or do you shoot it out after each hunt?

i dont like to leave one loaded, but the place i usually shoot, has a 140 class 10 pt chasing does. i dont like to use a high power rifle on this property. so i was wondering, i use a T/C black diamond, with 777, how long could it be charged and still hold point of aim, or does it matter? i do keep it dry, but i was wondering how much moisture the 777 might pull in.

thanks

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
The key to leaving one loaded and it going off correctly is to keep the temperature of the gun the same.
For example don't carry in and out of the house each time you hunt.
If possible leave it in an outside utility room or something.

shopson

Taking it from the cold to warm spot is like taking something out of the fridge. Barring extreme temp changes, fog or rain, I generally leave mine loaded til I am done with it for the season.

Boone 58

I can tell you now, dont do it, you will live to regret it. I have seen many times the powder will get wet with sweating from the metal barrel getting cold then warm even in a house. It may not happen every time but no time will you ever appreciate a misfire when it occurs. i dont recommend you doing it for more than a week at most but certainly not between seasons such as the nov to december period. I know of at least two guys who had this happen this year. it took 3 209 primers to get the powder to fire. fortunately the buck on one of these guys hung around until he was killed, the other guy found it out on the range after a fruitless morning hunt and a desire to check his scopes accuracy. it took him three primers also.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
The season will be over in a few weeks. Just take it with you and discharge it after the last hunt,or sometime after the season is over. Or pull over at one of the gravel pits and shoot away.

kmac29

dont know but i left mine loaded from the first MZ hunt and it stayed that way till thursday of the second hunt (last week) and i waxed a doe with it so it was ok. i probably wouldnt leave it for all year though..

44fanatic

R.I.P.
Sounds like the powder can stay dry for awhile if kept close to the same temp. One thing I havnt seen on this thread....

What about the double loading if you leave it loaded? Seems like a big safety hazard.

iowavf

Mine never comes into the house loaded, but I will leave it loaded, locked up in the pickup for a couple weeks during deer season. I have my rod marked so I'll know if I'm trying to double load it.

Latest posts