How good is a deer’s hearing

oldmanelrod

2-Step Enabled
From what I have read a deer's hearing is comparable to man's. That said I realize that they do detect non native environmental sounds well because that is sound that should not be there. Just wondering if you listen using ear buds on low volume to a ball game or an on line book to you think they will detect you? If you keep one bud in your ear and the other under your clothing.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
You should absolutely be able to listen to a ball game in ear buds.
The woods are kind of a loud place in general. Takes a lot to stand out as something unmistakably foreign.

Bushape

Sitting in my stand a few years ago and I kept hearing the faint sound of leaves rustling. Took a while but I finally spotted a terrapin in the leaves under my stand. Eventually a doe came cruising by about 20-30 yards away and she heard it as well and came to check it out. Wasn't loud at all so it sort of surprised me that she picked up on it.

Shed Hunter

Not very well. Or no better than we can aside from being able to pinpoint direction better than we can. They're easily deceived (but that should be obvious from the fact people rattle them up with bags of wooden sticks.. not to mention clanging metal on accident at times)

Like antler daddy said. Their nose is awesome.. that's all their is to that. As for sight, while about blind they can detect movement very well. As for out of place I find it just depends. If you're up a tree and very oddly out of place, for sure will spook them, but I walk up to deer that see me quite often. Just like sound their eyes are easily deceived. Combine sound imitation of a deer and move like one and they will be very confused-all stuff a long time member Bowriter thought us.

To answer your question specifically-as others have said the deer isn't going to hear your earbuds

DoubleRidge

I would not be concerned about a deer hearing your earbuds as much as I'd be concerned about the noise in your ear preventing you from hearing deer approaching....but hey, if listening to the ball game or an online book keeps you on stand longer then go for it....I've read a book several times to pass the time midday....very relaxing.

Willysman

One time turkey hunting had some does close to me. Stomach growled and they all looked directly at me. But as Antler Daddy said their nose cannot be deceived.

Safari Hunt

Look at a deer's ears- size, shape location on the head which is forward facing, mobility. "All the better to hear you, my dear" They are equipped to be aware their surroundings and of all predators.

Latest posts