How do leasing land work?

Ski

For me it would depend on the property. Habitat features and surrounding properties are key. A small 5 acre thick woodlot surrounded by hundreds of acres of ag that has nobody else hunting would be worth far more to me than 50 acres of open timber surrounded by properties with other other hunters. This is why very large acreage leases are so popular.

When somebody leases a property, it's largely because they want a piece of ground they can hunt without having to compete with other hunters. If it's a big enough lease there will likely be multiple people sharing the lease to offset cost, with a certain number of acres per hunter ratio. That in itself can become an issue because as lease membership grows, you edge closer & closer to negating the premise of having a lease in the first place. I'd rather hunt public land for free than to pay part of a 5000 acre lease I share with 9 other guys. But if I could singly lease a small acreage lot that had the right habitat features, I'd do it in a heartbeat. But those don't exist that I'm aware of. Most every lease I've ever seen was large acreage.

I've always thought that if small property owners offered their land up for lease, they'd do well. There are countless hunters who'd love to lease ground but either don't have the financial ability to pay for a large piece, don't have an in with a group to cooperatively lease a big place, or else aren't interested in sharing a property with other hunters. What the lease market lacks, IMO, is small property leases that would be affordable enough to market to individuals.

GodGunAndCountry

For me it would depend on the property. Habitat features and surrounding properties are key. A small 5 acre thick woodlot surrounded by hundreds of acres of ag that has nobody else hunting would be worth far more to me than 50 acres of open timber surrounded by properties with other other hunters. This is why very large acreage leases are so popular.

When somebody leases a property, it's largely because they want a piece of ground they can hunt without having to compete with other hunters. If it's a big enough lease there will likely be multiple people sharing the lease to offset cost, with a certain number of acres per hunter ratio. That in itself can become an issue because as lease membership grows, you edge closer & closer to negating the premise of having a lease in the first place. I'd rather hunt public land for free than to pay part of a 5000 acre lease I share with 9 other guys. But if I could singly lease a small acreage lot that had the right habitat features, I'd do it in a heartbeat. But those don't exist that I'm aware of. Most every lease I've ever seen was large acreage.

I've always thought that if small property owners offered their land up for lease, they'd do well. There are countless hunters who'd love to lease ground but either don't have the financial ability to pay for a large piece, don't have an in with a group to cooperatively lease a big place, or else aren't interested in sharing a property with other hunters. What the lease market lacks, IMO, is small property leases that would be affordable enough to market to individuals.
I see, thank you 🙏 for you very helpful post. This got me to the right direction

hoghunter65

I use to lease 80 acres from bowater, I was also on a 4000acre lease for 10 years, I enjoyed the smaller lease much more than I did the large one, only three of us hunted the small lease where there was 70 on the big one.I only hunt public now, too much good public land around you can hunt for free

Omega

My issue is that it seems many hunters want exclusivity, I hunt my little place and usually get the number of deer I want. I haven't got any bruisers, well at least haven't seen any in my scope, but have never measured a single deer, just weigh them on the hoof. I looked into the possibility of leasing but exclusivity , liability and a few other factors just didn't seem like it was something I wanted to fool with.

GodGunAndCountry

I use to lease 80 acres from bowater, I was also on a 4000acre lease for 10 years, I enjoyed the smaller lease much more than I did the large one, only three of us hunted the small lease where there was 70 on the big one.I only hunt public now, too much good public land around you can hunt for free
It seems like Nashville area is harder, maybe around Johnson city is better where my in law is

Boll Weevil

If you don't have experience with leases, please know there can be some heartache involved if the landowner makes changes (after years of lessees investing in the property). Timber companies for example are in the business of making money and if that means clearcutting or selling holdings that's exactly what they do. Landowner deciding after a year of leasing to just let family hunt or selling the property...same thing. And look out for sub-leases; folks that lease for $5/ac and turn right around and lease it to you for $10/ac. You gotta do your homework or could be left with not-so-great a leasing experience. Ask lots of questions and GET IT IN WRITING.

GodGunAndCountry

If you don't have experience with leases, please know there can be some heartache involved if the landowner makes changes (after years of lessees investing in the property). Timber companies for example are in the business of making money and if that means clearcutting or selling holdings that's exactly what they do. Landowner deciding after a year of leasing to just let family hunt or selling the property...same thing. And look out for sub-leases; folks that lease for $5/ac and turn right around and lease it to you for $10/ac. You gotta do your homework or could be left with not-so-great a leasing experience. Ask lots of questions and GET IT IN WRITING.
That is fair take on this , I appreciated it

GodGunAndCountry

I own 10.2 acres. I have killed 63 deer on it since I bought it in 1991. I have also been on leases with thousands of acres over the years and probably taken less than 10 off the leases. Small property in the right spot is a goldmine.
Do have a range or go shot on your land. I was wonder if active target shoot will scare away animal.

Ski

My issue is that it seems many hunters want exclusivity, I hunt my little place and usually get the number of deer I want. I haven't got any bruisers, well at least haven't seen any in my scope, but have never measured a single deer, just weigh them on the hoof. I looked into the possibility of leasing but exclusivity , liability and a few other factors just didn't seem like it was something I wanted to fool with.

Yeah there's expense involved for sure to have exclusivity. That's why people split the cost with others, which sacrifices the exclusivity. It's a conundrum. That's why I think there's room in the lease market for tiny, individual leases that would be affordable for one person. Lots of folks own small properties. I'd think if they knew they could make a little money from unused acreage, they'd do it.

GodGunAndCountry

Yeah there's expense involved for sure to have exclusivity. That's why people split the cost with others, which sacrifices the exclusivity. It's a conundrum. That's why I think there's room in the lease market for tiny, individual leases that would be affordable for one person. Lots of folks own small properties. I'd think if they knew they could make a little money from unused acreage, they'd do it.
Do you think you can hunt on 5 acres?

scn

Of course you can hunt on 5 acres.

The question is whether or not you can do it safely and maybe legally.

If the terrain is such that you don't have an adequate backstop for bullets that could exit the property, then maybe not. Hunting from an elevated position where you are shooting down is a lot safer than from a ground blind on level ground. Only you can make that decision. But, you open yourself up for a charge of reckless endangerment if bullets don't stay on the property.

The other issue is whether surrounding landowners are OK with giving you permission to come onto their land and track/retrieve a deer that runs off of your property. With a gun, you can be very selective of your shots and often put the deer down in its tracks with certain types of shots. With a bow, they often are going to run, and very likely exit 5 acres. If the landowner you lease from has a good relationship with his/her neighbors, permission to retrieve may not be a big issue. Just remember that it is illegal to go onto the property of another to track or retrieve a deer without their permission.

Be aware that this is the time of year that finds leasing scams at their peak. There are annual scams where people that don't even own the property will "lease" it to an unknowing person. Or, they "lease" to multiple different groups of hunters while promising it is exclusive. Do your homework before turning over any money.

Last edited:

Ski

Of course! If 5 acres is what I get, that's what I hunt, and I'm happy to have it! One of the properties I regularly hunt is 4.5 acres. I kill several deer and at least one buck on that tiny property every year. My wife killed the buck in the pic there within the first hour of the only day she hunted that season. Granted the place has a lot of habitat features packed in to its 4.5 acres. It's a long, narrow property that splits two 20 acre fields that alternate beans & corn, and the fence line that splits them is overgrown into a thicket. The back acre is wooded with a large creek running along the border. That creek runs for miles and deer use it as a freeway, especially during rut.

So yeah, if the property has some terrain or habitat features that deer utilize, you can hunt 5 acres quite effectively.

Attachments

• Loppy 7aug20 (4).JPG
    Loppy 7aug20 (4).JPG
    45 KB · Views: 23

Swampster

That may be a good strategy for landowners who don't have the ability or desire to hunt anymore. Bring in a little income and give you a new audience to chew the fat with.

Ski

That may be a good strategy for landowners who don't have the ability or desire to hunt anymore. Bring in a little income and give you a new audience to chew the fat with.

I'd for sure be a consumer for a small lease that I could have all to myself. But I have no interest at all in sharing leases or being a paying member of a club/lease. If I had say $1000 to spend on a lease and had a choice between a couple hundred acres to myself or a couple thousand acres to share with a dozen other guys, I'm taking the small personal lease every time. Better yet I'd much prefer spend it on a small handful of 20-100 acre leases so I can have options on where to hunt. Problem is that I don't think it exists. I've never seen a small property lease.

Latest posts