Hot Hands

Mike Belt

I post this every year and will again for those that use them and may not have seen this. I use them (disposable) faithfully. I only use the larger size good for 18 hours. One in each front shirt pocket and one in each pants pocket. These areas are adjacent to main arteries and help knock the chill out of the air. I also put one in each glove while traveling and then move them into my front coat/parka pocket. I don't wear gloves on stand and keep my hands in my pockets until a potential shot happens. Again, I use the 18 hour units (about 3.5" X 5" or so). I also usually only make 1/2 day hunts. After any one of these hunts and after I make it back to my truck I keep a zip lock baggie in the console. You can place the hot hands in the baggie and seal it up thus shutting off the air supply and they'll quit heating. You can take them out on the next hunt, give them a couple of shakes, and they'll fire back up. This way you get 2 hunts out of them instead of throwing them away after only using for a few hours of their 18 hour worth on 1 hunt.

Mr_TTT2

Good tips, will try this next. During really cold hunts, I have placed the lower back heat wrap you can get at walgreens. This keeps the heat by my kidneys/lower back and seems to warm the whole body. Tried hand muff this weekend, with hand warmers, big difference. I'm going to try foil in my hunting shoes because I can't keep my feet warm, done two pairs of socks 800 heat measurements, wrapped feet in wool blanket, stood on foam pad.

scn

Mr_TTT2":aoffc650 said:
Good tips, will try this next. During really cold hunts, I have placed the lower back heat wrap you can get at walgreens. This keeps the heat by my kidneys/lower back and seems to warm the whole body. Tried hand muff this weekend, with hand warmers, big difference. I'm going to try foil in my hunting shoes because I can't keep my feet warm, done two pairs of socks 800 heat measurements, wrapped feet in wool blanket, stood on foam pad.

The best things that I have done on my cold feet issues is to buy a second pair of Mucks a size larger than I normally wear. The extra room and "wiggleability" makes a major difference. And, having your feet cramped in your boots with extra socks is counterproductive. On super cold days the foot warmers are great as well.

As an added bonus, I rotate between my two pairs of mucks during the day. I use the "big" ones in the morning when it is coldest, and switch out to my regular size for evening hunts. By doing this, they dry out between hunts pretty good.

Yes, it was an added expense, but, it has been well worth the money for me.

Mike Belt

Along with staying warmer in as far as boots go, everyone that hunts really needs to own a boot dryer. A Peet boot dryer is less than $30 and worth every penny. Almost any amount of walking will result in sweating in your boots and it's no fun at all pulling a boot on the next morning that's wet inside. Left on overnight they'll be nice and warm and dry for the next trip out.

FTG-05

scn":1szprww2 said:
Mr_TTT2":1szprww2 said:

The best things that I have done on my cold feet issues is to buy a second pair of Mucks a size larger than I normally wear. The extra room and "wiggleability" makes a major difference. And, having your feet cramped in your boots with extra socks is counterproductive. On super cold days the foot warmers are great as well.

As an added bonus, I rotate between my two pairs of mucks during the day. I use the "big" ones in the morning when it is coldest, and switch out to my regular size for evening hunts. By doing this, they dry out between hunts pretty good.

Yes, it was an added expense, but, it has been well worth the money for me.

Where do you get your Mucks at? And is that a brand name or generic name for a type of boot?

thanks,

Latest posts