Homemade lube from "local" resources

RockMcL

Does anyone make their own lube from deer fat/tallow & bee's wax?

I don't raise sheep or beef but do have bees. I cooked down a batch of tallow from a fat deer & wax a couple years ago and am still using it for cap & ball revolvers, 45 colt BP loads bullet lube, 54 Sharps bullet lube and patches for 45/50 ball. I have been happy with accuracy and cleanup. Left a jar in a window for a year and never got a bad smell.

I always hear folks talking about lamb or beef tallow and just wondering if you all long term shooters know of a challenge I might be missing.

This fat butt guy skinned today is what made me think of asking. I will butcher him in a week and keep fat/tallow to render fat/add wax and make another batch probably the next week.

Any thoughts old timers?
20221116_162642.jpg

RockMcL

Next fall should have a couple pigs to butcher. Definitely will set aside some of the lard for my lubes...

Funny the smells we can remember.

Omega

Never used tallow but do have a recipe I use that requires bees wax that I use on lead bullets such as these from Midway, though I now cast my own and powder coat, I occasionally do traditional lube.

iu

rifle02

I've used several concoctions based on beeswax and they all worked well. My only problem was that in the early season when it is still very warm it attracts bees! Several times I had to move because of yellow jackets trying to get into my shooting bag.

RockMcL

The only bees I encourage are honey bees. From a pure naturalist perspective that maybe short sighted but I have to be selfish about something...

I don't remember my mixture percentages but guessing around 60 40 with the 40 being wax. Never had bee problems but I probably wouldn't even notice honeybees coming around. I am surrounded by them often...

Latest posts