Homebrew Price

monsterbuck07

If you make your own homebrew what would your start up cost be? My dad knows how to solder and I would like to learn how to do it. He has the soldering iron/materials already. How long does it take to make one homebrew camera. Of course I would be starting out on low end with a S40. Any tips on good places to buy?Ebay? Thanks!

FIREMANJIM

Camera from Ebay. S40 is a difficult hack for it to be your first. I would suggest a p32 or a p41 for your first. Start up cost depends on how many tools.you already have. The Forstner drill bits alone are about 30$ each and you need 2 of them. Camo case 45$ control board and fresnel 45$ camera 45$ external battery holder 5$ lens and shutter glass 6$ misc wire, marine goop, heat shrink tubing probably 10$ Hope this gives you a rough estimate. Once tou get all the tools they get cheaper as you go but a nice build you will still have $150 in it. Believe me we are not getting rich building and selling these. Especially with a good warranty on your work!!!

backstraps

Monster, starting out I wouldnt suggest the S40. A p32-p41 camera is easy starting camera. It isnt as easy as placing pieces together, but not as hard as someone may tell you.

I suggest buying a built camera to have a hands on "go by guide"

FIREMANJIM is an excellent source for a high quality trail camera.

PickettSFHunter

I can usually get in my favorite p41 builds for $130-$150. Thats not counting the equipment I bought though originally like solder and dremel, etc. After you build several that cost is negligible. I use a hole saw for all the holes, cost maybe $7 a piece for several different sizes. I usually take a week just to do it slow but it can be done faster. P32/P41 be a good start as others mentioned.

monsterbuck07

I would not be doing these to sale. I just think I would enjoy it and I think they would be more reliable. Thanks for the info are there any good videos on youtube that would benefit me to watch.

Good time Charlie

I use new Irwin Spade bits for my holes,I say new because they need to be sharp.
You will like the s40 ,takes great pics.If you do your own 3D camo you can get in at 100 bucks if everything goes well.
I will sell you a s40 for 30 bucks,35 hacked.

FIREMANJIM

I use the Forstner bits so I can recess the shutter and lens glass. This essentially eliminates the possibility of the dreaded flash bleed. Stay away from the clear cases in my opinion. Flash will bleed thru the clear plastic unless you get the edges blacked out really well.

TheAirMan

monsterbuck07 said:
Thanks for the info are there any good videos on youtube that would benefit me to watch.

Yes. Here is the first part of a complete build.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRJEHjNM ... Ox8bQleR69

Buckshot164 also has videos on how to do a lot of hacks. I would recommend you watch all the parts of the video above. It will give you a good idea of what all has to be done.

Latest posts