Food Plots Holy moly!!

rukiddin

These sawtooths are six years old. Going by the looks of the "flowers", they're gonna be loaded with acorns. I found 4 acorns last year out of 14 sawtooths planted down my driveway. This year, it looks like I may have 4000. Haha. I have 9 more in my pasture so I hope they'll start producing this year as well.

Attachments

• 8BA679F0-78E0-4990-803A-A91122968B64.jpeg
    8BA679F0-78E0-4990-803A-A91122968B64.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 153
  • 1F80FD57-3D77-4643-84F8-B3CD7ADE12F4.jpeg
    1F80FD57-3D77-4643-84F8-B3CD7ADE12F4.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 131

DoubleRidge

That's awesome! I started 13 sawtooth acorns in pots several weeks back and they have just started to sprout...buddy of mine gave me the acorns from his trees in his yard that he started from acorns. Hope to have a stand someday.

JCDEERMAN

That's great! There is nothing like it. I have 10 American Chestnuts I started from seed a couple months ago. 6 out of the 10 have come up and one is about a foot tall. I also noticed while weed-eating our fruit trees over the weekend, we found 23 volunteer pears coming up from under one of our pear trees. We dug them up and I potted them yesterday evening in hopes they will make it.

TNlandowner

We had several hundred Sawtooth oak 18" seedlings machine planted in an old pasture ridge spring of 2009. I haven't done much to help them other than keep the grasses and briars mowed back until the trees were tall enough to reach sunlight. I probably lost 25- 30% of the trees, but it didn't hurt as some areas are now a bit crowded. They began producing big crop of acorns in 2018. They begin dropping acorns in September - early October, which is right before our Red & White Oaks begin dropping. We are so happy we added them to our farm.

We also planted nearly 60 Dunstan Chestnut trees, grown from seed. Several trees produce nuts and add another drawing factor for area deer.

I think pear trees may be our next project. ;0)

JBell

I planted 54 chestnuts last year. Lost about 12-15 of them. Have 30-40 more that will stay in pots this summer and be planted in the fall. It's kinda fun to watch them grow

Terrier

That's great! There is nothing like it. I have 10 American Chestnuts I started from seed a couple months ago. 6 out of the 10 have come up and one is about a foot tall. I also noticed while weed-eating our fruit trees over the weekend, we found 23 volunteer pears coming up from under one of our pear trees. We dug them up and I potted them yesterday evening in hopes they will make it.
If your original pear tree was a grafted tree, the volunteers may not produce the same pears you're used to seeing from that original tree. They'll probably mature to be the rootstock variety, which could be anybody's guess as to attributes.

JCDEERMAN

If your original pear tree was a grafted tree, the volunteers may not produce the same pears you're used to seeing from that original tree. They'll probably mature to be the rootstock variety, which could be anybody's guess as to attributes.
I have no idea if it was grafted or not. They aren't doing very well right now. Not sure if the root wasn't cut deep enough, they are in shock due to the change, etc...I guess time will tell on all aspects on their survival and if they produce anything at all

Latest posts