Hey LSUtigers' Question/Answer

Grizzly Johnson

LSUtigers said:
I have not shot it on pattern yet. Remington 870, 12 gauge of course,with a 21" barrel, will shoot up to 3's, don't think it will shoot 3.5's. Looking forward to see what it will do. Any idea's on this gun as to what you would start with?.

LSUtigers said:
I as of yet after all this read anything about suggestions for me on my new gun, unless I missed it. It was one of my questions to all in one of my last post in this debate, maybe someone has the very gun I have and could help. Rem 870, 21" barrel, 3", 12 gauge turky gun. GOD's speed! :)

Just to get out of the other thread and into your own... :)

What is your typical hunting terrain/spots..... woods, fields, combo? Do you prefer lead or Hevi-shot?

I typically shoot 3.5" 870's.... but the Mrs. shoots a 3" 11-87.

If your strictly lead, there are several chokes that are fairly inexpensive. With the Winchester Supreme #6's and a Remington Ventilator turkey choke I was getting pretty good patterns for lead @ 40 yards.

The Jelly Head chokes have worked pretty well with lead or HTL.... most run a .660 or .665 in the 870's. The smaller shot, the tighter choke is how I would go with it (#6's with a .660 and #4's or #5's with a .665).

I have heard some people using the Tight Wad choke with Winchester shells, however I have no personal experience.

It really boils down to you trying something to see how it works together.... If you want to go full custom choke, I know a guy that can build you one based off your wants/needs... you try it out and if it doesn't work, you can send it back and he will work with you (within reason) until you are satisfied. Do a search for Sumtoy Custom choke tubes....

23" barrels are as short as I have personal experience with....

Spurhunter

Griz is right. 870's love Jellyhead chokes and Magblends or straight 6's. The Hevishot choke is also a stellar performer. But, I don't have experience with a barrel shorter than 24". I'm betting you could buy a JH .660 or .665 and some Magblends and never look back.

HOWEVER, my buddy has a 870 w/ 21" barrel and William Sumtoy just made him a choke and tested it with the new Winchester Longbeard shells. It will blow your mind. Give me a minute to post a pic.

Grizzly Johnson

Spurhunter said:
HOWEVER, my buddy has a 870 w/ 21" barrel and William Sumtoy just made him a choke and tested it with the new Winchester Longbeard shells. It will blow your mind. Give me a minute to post a pic.

Now you have my attention & curiousity up... :D

Spurhunter

Keep in mind this is a 3.5 inch shell in a 20 inch barrel.

870 w/ 20 inch barrel, Win Longbeard #6's, Sumtoy .665 choke.
249 in a 10" circle @ 40 yards @ 68 degrees.

For lead, this is just plain wicked.

Spurhunter

I was not there for the shot and I didn't count the pellets. I am trusting Sumtoy's word and from everything I know he is a stand up guy. When my buddy gets his gun back he will be testing Magblends.

SKFOOTER

I would almost bet the farm that the Jellyhead .660 or the Kick's .655 will throw a similar pattern with the 3" Winchester Longbeard shell thru that 21" barrel. I've got 3 of them short barreled Remmys and I'm definitly gonna pattern that combo.

Spurhunter

SKFOOTER said:
I would almost bet the farm that the Jellyhead .660 or the Kick's .655 will throw a similar pattern with the 3" Winchester Longbeard shell thru that 21" barrel. I've got 3 of them short barreled Remmys and I'm definitly gonna pattern that combo.

I would take that bet. No way you get 249 in 10" with a 3 inch lead shell at 40 yards. This is a 3.5 inch shell. Prove me wrong! :grin:

SKFOOTER

Spurhunter said:
SKFOOTER said:

I would take that bet. No way you get 249 in 10" with a 3 inch lead shell at 40 yards. This is a 3.5 inch shell. Prove me wrong! :grin:
Let me re-phrase that. I would bet the farm that the shell/choke combinations I mentioned would throw similar patterns percentage wise based on shell capacity.

Grizzly Johnson

SKFOOTER said:
Spurhunter said:
SKFOOTER said:

Let me re-phrase that. I would bet the farm that the shell/choke combinations I mentioned would throw similar patterns percentage wise based on shell capacity.

:D :D :D

Roost 1

That pattern looks too good to be lead @ 40yds...
Not saying it isn't, but wondering why after shooting a pattern like that why anyone would be interested in trying anything else..
Now if that had been 35yds it would seem more realistic, 5 yds makes a big difference.

Rockhound

Roost 1 said:
That pattern looks too good to be lead @ 40yds...
Not saying it isn't, but wondering why after shooting a pattern like that why anyone would be interested in trying anything else..
Now if that had been 35yds it would seem more realistic, 5 yds makes a big difference.

Sum toy wouldn't exaggerate about it, he has no reason to. He has posted these patterns on the Turkey forums as well

Latest posts