heres a little tip on clover I discoverd

tnclayboy

I started a late winter clover plot last feb .it came up well.it looked awsome that spring as summer came on since I was mowing it the other grasses like bermuta and johnson grass started to take over . The middle of the plot is higher and well drained the clover all but died out in this area. so I spot sprayed the bermuta with round up .killed most of it .going into the fall the plot looked like me It was bald on top .so I replanted the middle higher ground with a mixture of clover wheat and oats.
this spring all you could see was wheat and oats but you could tell there was some clover down in there. Well with the lack of rain this summer I decided not to cut the wheat in the clover plot and this is what happened .
The wheat got tall ,turned yellow seeded up,dropped seeds ,turkey and other animals ate the seed. The old wheat helped shade the clover so it would not burn out in summer heat .I did finally cut the wheat down after it had dropped all seed perty much . I waited till we had some rain and we had another good shower on the way and I cut it high as the clipper would go. Now it is growing good with little weed comp and I have not done much of any thing to it this year .

So my Tip is don't worry so much about clipping the clover in a drout. Clipp acording to the rain.
over seed clover plots with some wheat and or oats in the hot dryer areas of youre plot and dont clipp till rain permits and seed has fallen from wheat and oats mid july or August. Good luck hope this will help some one.

deerchaser007

Good post.....

The only thing to note on this is, if the clover heads are dead when you mow in august you have not reseeded the clover plot in clover. You would need to overseed the clover in september to have a good plot the next year.
Also,.. if chicory is in the mix, and you have not mowed it til august, it will have bolted on you,.. and will need to be overseeded.

I overseed my clover plots every year in wheat or oats for this reason. PLUS,.. the turkey love it.

tellico4x4

Similar thing happened to us, except it is with DER. I was late in cutting the wheat and oat's after they turned brown. Now, a couple of our plots have a great stand of DER coming up! I really believe that I could broadcast some wheat & fertilizer in a few weeks, and have good looking plots by bowseason. Not sure why, but this happened on just two out of 16 plots. Had no idea that it would re-seed....

JohnnyDollar

a food plot is like your yard, if you keep it cut it will stay nice and green if you don't keep it cut it will look like an over-grown crp field. The cutting of the clover stimulates new tender growth.

Latest posts