Hen Vocalization Question

bowhunterfanatic

Maybe it's just something to do with the area of the state I'm in, but the last few years I've noticed our hens are 10x more vocal before the season starts than once it starts. Anyone else notice this? I'm sure pressure plays a role, but that can't be the only factor. I went and listened this morning and almost every spot I stopped I heard hens cutting up and making all kinds of racket, both in the tree and on the ground. I probably heard more hen talk this morning than I will hear over the course of the entire season once it opens. Even the first week or two of season when I'm still seeing large numbers of hens they typically aren't very vocal. Anyone else see this?

Andy S.

Generally speaking yes, but I also mainly hunt in west and middle TN, so same general area as you. For me, the most hen talk I heard was in December in a deer stand, over the course of several hunts. I've heard a fair amount over last few weeks as flocks are still decent size, and expect to hear less over the next month as the hens leave the flock. I suspect reduced hen talk over the course of the season is due to the number of hens in local flock declining as they are bred and seek out a secure place to nest. Once they are in nesting mode, they are a totally different creature IMO.

Last edited:

Boll Weevil

Mega might be the best to weigh on in this as he is steeped in turkey behavior and physiology but I've always equated lots of hen talk with actively seeking mates. In my area breeding is on an uptick and hens are really vocal. You're 1 county east of me so wouldn't be surprised if they're in the same mood.

megalomaniac

Mostly social dynamics... birds are moving around a lot a few weeks before season, pecking order is getting reset when new groups encounter one another, and toms are fighting which makes the hens go crazy as well.

Later in the season, social structure has been better established, subordinate hens have acknowledged who's the boss, and hens become more solitary after breeding and completely solitary during incubation and the first month or so of rearing poults.

Here's a good example of general hellraising. These 2 toms were fighting, and it upset the hens so much they joined it with fighting purrs and strutting as well as a sign of their general displeasure with the situation.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220308-200952.jpg
    Screenshot_20220308-200952.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 48

REN

like Mega said winter flocks end up having a-lot of social structure role play to determine the pecking order which is still going on now till spring break up starts to play out. Once that starts to happen those hierarchies are more set so there is not as much a need to fight and challenge the oder. I hear a lot of hens during deer season and starts to ramp up even more Feb and March time frame.

still have days in april I hear them a lot but early season/late winter flock is a great time to really hear them hammer down on it.

square

Got a hen all tore up last week in MS. She came a long way cackling all the way. Walked out in a field at 75 yds. Stopped. Looked at my hen and jake decoy. Turned and walked away in the woods yelping and cutting. Did she have a silent gobbler with her and lead him away?

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
I hear tons of hen vocalizations pre season, like right now time of year. Somewhere around the 15th of March around here things get really loud before and right after fly down. Lots of yelps, cuts and cackles for 20-30 minutes each morning across the holler. Like the others have said, they are figuring each other out.