Hen Still on the Nest

Spurhunter

My cousin was bushhogging at the place we hunt in Columbus, MS late last week. He waited until after July 4th since that's the rule of thumb. He blew a hen off the nest with the tractor so he immediately left that area. He went back over the weekend on foot to see if she came back, and she was back on the nest. Looking at the poult pictures I've seen she must have been a late nester or maybe those eggs are not going to hatch.

megalomaniac

Probably either a jenny with her first nest, or an adult who has renested.

If the eggs aren't developing, the hen isn't going to sit on them. They have some uncanny sense of which eggs are good and which eggs are bad just a few days into incubation. They will even kick out the quitters mid incubation to get them away from the good developing eggs.

Spurhunter

Probably either a jenny with her first nest, or an adult who has renested.

If the eggs aren't developing, the hen isn't going to sit on them. They have some uncanny sense of which eggs are good and which eggs are bad just a few days into incubation. They will even kick out the quitters mid incubation to get them away from the good developing eggs.
Thanks for the information! Those were the kind of things I was wondering about.

Latest posts