Help with Excalibur Ibex

Steverino

I got an Ibex not too long ago and it shoots terrible. At first I thought the scope was defective and so went thru a painful RMA process with them. Finally got a Trueglo type sight and put it on. Yesterday I'm at 10 yards bench shooting and putting the bolt in the same place for 3 shots to the left of bulls - walked it a bit and then got two flyers about 6" to the right. Played around with it and put more close to an in bulls-eye then another flyer to the right. Seems like the same pattern I had with the scope.

So I'm at a loss as to how this can happen. Also when shooting a small hex screw popped up from somewhere - I think from the trigger mechanism but the bow continued to shoot after. I'm going to try again today but I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong. I don't see how you can hit the target several times in a tight group then put a bolt out 6" on the next shot.

Advise needed.

TheLBLman

Steverino said:
I don't see how you can hit the target several times in a tight group then put a bolt out 6" on the next shot.
First, are you using the same bolt for each shot?

Your problems could have something to do with the bolts.

Are you using a cocking aid, or just drawing it back with your hands?

If it's not the bolts, if it's not inconsistencies in cocking, it is likely something to do with the sight or sight mount. Could also be lack of a very stable bench rest?

Do you hold the crossbow (and/or position it exactly the same on a rest) for each shot?

cecil30-30

I had the exact same problem last year with a excal matrix 380. Excal customer service gave me the run around. I never could get it to shoot right. I returned it to the place I bought it from for a tenpoint. My advice is to see if you can return it and get a tenpoint. I thought for a $1000 crossbow one shouldnt have to fight with it just to get 3-4 in groups at 20yds.

TnBob

Have you used loktite on all the screws. If any of the mount screws get lose it can cause this. Use the blue loktite and let it set overnight. Might make a big difference.

Steverino

OK - found the problem. As we in IT used to say about computer users - PICNIC Problem in chair, not in computer.

I was not cocking it correctly - you have to make sure the hooks on the cocking aid are snug against the deck each time. Once I fixed that I was bulls eye out to 20. I'll do 50 another day but now that I have the issue settled I think, it should be fine - now I have to find out what the hex nut goes to. I'm going to send a photo of it and description to see if its something from the bow, sight, or my shooting bench which is using a plastic gun cleaning thing for brace and maybe it popped out of the boxes but better to be safe than sorry.

I did use same arrow, and locked down the gun cleaning holder to the table - it was solid - I had nice easy trigger pulls each time before and after I figured it out. And no drift off target while shooting. Now I'm having fun again!

The arrow's feathers do get wavy though from use - is that normal or is there a way to straighten them - they are just plastic pieces. ANd is it a problem?

Thanks very much for your help - I will have lots more questions about hunting and shooting with these things. But off to a start finally!

Legnip

Other tips:
1) Use a heavy tip or broad head. It will help a short arrow/bolt stabilize.
2) Re-fletch with 2" helical
just my 2 cents.

Steverino

I looked up straightening the fletchings on YouTube and saw a few different ways of doing it. I decided to try using an iron at very low heat, then straightening with hands. The iron on a table if you didn't hold it long seemed to be best because it got the fletching warm and flat - then smoothing put the finishing touch. The most impressive video was the guy with the gas stove - a propane torch might have the same effect.

Latest posts