Help me understand

OldNewbie

First let me say that I'm obviously not an animal rights activist. I enjoy hunting and feel there is a biblical imperative for man to manage the earth and all of its resources, including the animals.

Personally my practice is to kill only those animals I intend to use (or give to someone who will). But I also don't have a problem with someone who feels that some animals need to be managed even though they have no intention of eating or using them.

I think I get why folks would want to control the population of coyotes but what's the deal with bobcats? Do they pose some threat that I don't know about?

hunterncoach

they don't kill deer, but they do a number on quail, rabbits, & not too sure if they don't raid turkey nests too....not that I give a darn for turkeys, but thats what game animals they do have an impact on

LA man

hunterncoach said:
they don't kill deer, but they do a number on quail, rabbits, & not too sure if they don't raid turkey nests too....not that I give a darn for turkeys, but thats what game animals they do have an impact on

yes they will kill deer.

Coach

I sometimes wonder why kill some animals also...I like having a few bobcats here and there on my farm, not overrun but seeing one once in a while is pretty cool. When I'm hunting I kinda like hearing crows too but my son likes to shoot them...to each his own I guess. One of my neighboring farm fellas came by and said to me "I saw something I haven't seen in a long time today"...he walked over to the back of his truck and held up a bobcat. I said, "you won't see them in a much longer time if you shoot everyone you see"...haha

Nhill

The only reason that I would shoot a bobcat is to have it mounted, or if we were overrun with them. And I don't think that we will ever be overrun with them, at least not in my area.

BowGirl

Ive always given bobcats and foxes a pass. Have released a few from my traps as well. They are native unlike the coyote. To each their own.

Nhill

Another reason some shoot them is to post them on tndeer, even though they are out of season or shot in a state in which they are considered an endangered species.
:)

Crosshairy

In Shelby County, I shot one once that was creeping up on me at the edge of a dove field (in a low crawl, sneaking up behind me). In hindsight, I'm relatively confident that it would have figured out what I was before attacking, but it was VERY unsettling to see when I turned around on that bucket. I genuinely thought I was about to be attacked. It was so close I didn't really aim the shotgun, just pointed in its general direction.

Aside from that one experience :) I think they are pretty cool animals. I have seen a few of them in pictures that have killed small fawns, but I don't think they present a significant predation threat to older deer (there are just easier things to catch for an animal that size). Just like anything, their numbers have to be monitored, and predator hunting by a few folks that like it is a great way of keeping their numbers from getting out of control.

I also like the fact that they are native animals, as BowGirl pointed out.

bigtex

I've never seen a Bobcat here on my farm in East Tn. If I ever do I will give it a pass. I have seen a few in the Middle part of the state and I gave them a pass as well. Not that i'm against killing then, but i'm well over the age of just killing to be killing. I do have foxes on my farm and I give them a pass as well, I just like watching them sometimes, they are pretty entertaining little critters to watch.
Coyotes on the other hand are not native to my area and I kill everyone I see, i'm not over run with them and I intend it to stay that way if I can.
If it's legal and you want to kill a Cat..........have at it, no sweat off my nose......just not on my farm.

bowriter

R.I.P.
1. Bob cats are extremely efficient predators and yes, they can and do kill deer. They are especially efficient at killing turkeys. For that reason, I give them a pass.
2-I have killed a few bobcats and have two of them mounted. I see no reason to kill another.
3- I also have wondered about the seeming bragging rights that some seem to get from killing one.

I have one living in my backyard. I see him at night on a regular basis and I suspect he is stealing some of my dog's food. I could have killed him several times but have no intention to.

Crosshairy

Ironically enough after reading this post today, I saw a dead bobcat on the side of the road at the turn-off to my hunting spot. I didn't get out to examine it since I was short on time, so I assumed it was road kill. First one of those I remember seeing hit by a car.

DaveB

I've seen bobcats in California that were large enough to give you pause. Never shot one and never will. I really like the idea of an animal that is a better hunter than any of us ever will be in the woods with me. And yes, I have had one sneak up on me and when I turned I don't know who was the most scared. He jumped straight up and hit the ground running.

OldNewbie

Thanks to all who responded.

Living in East TN, it's a treat to just see a deer in the woods, so most days the total critter count consists of squirrels, chipmonks, and an occassional hawk or owl.

I have especially enjoyed the rare occassion to see a fox or bobcat. Have yet to see a coyote.

Appreciate your answers.

Benelli 4 Life

To each his own but I kill every bobcat I get a chance to. Aint no different than a sorry coyote in my opinion. Bobcats are turkey killin machines and yes they can and will kill deer too.

Latest posts