Help.....Just bought a bow!

ShooterMcGavin

Hello all,
I know its late to just be getting a bow but I thought I could get a deal and get some early practice for next season! I am very green to the bow hunting world but have done some research. I just got a good deal on a bow and now need some accessories. I might get some of them online but will need my bow set up and tuned to my specifications. What I am asking is.... Which shop around the Knoxville area has treated you right (price wise, helped you get set up right, and did things right)?
Thanks in advance!
-Shooter

cecil30-30

I got my first bow this year from BPS in Sevierville.I was so green to bowhunting,that I didn't even know my draw length or how to get it.They reccomended a good bow that wouldn't break the bank,and set me up with everything I needed,and cut my arrows and I didn't leave until I was hitting the mark everytime at 20 yds.I would highly reccomend BPS from my experience.The guys there were very helpful and gave me alot of info and tips.I didn't even know how to properly draw a bow back,but I still got my first bow kill this year!

TheAirMan

You are doing the right thing asking about other peoples experience with the shops around your area. Just because they sell bows doesn't make them a pro shop.

John & Teresa - EWA

With clearing out all of out inventory, we have some great deals on accessories. All below our cost! Doubt that from a price stand point the internet could beat us at this stage!

JeepKuntry

John and Teresa are good people. Buy your accessories from them. Unfortunately there going out of business. If they weren't, I would recommend John setting your bow up. Do not go to Sportsmans Choice to have your bow setup. He installed the rest but didn't set up the square or paper tune. You'll get mixed reviews from people on going to Bass Pro or Gander Mountain. I've heard more negative comments than positive.

AlexDad

I'll just throw out there one tid bit. First of all follow all the above advice on setup by a good pro shop and get proficient before going out into the woods.

Also, invest in a good quality sling when hauling your gear into the woods. The first few times I took my bow out I had a bit of a walk to my hunting spot. A long gun lays on my shoulder comfortably and easily and safely carried. Carrying a bow a long distance was awkward to me and I found myself changing hands back and forth, etc. Short story, my hands and shoulders were cramped up and I'm sure if the opportunity had arisen on those trips, my shot would have been altered.

Your experience may be different. Just thought I'd throw that out there as something I experienced when I first started. Don't leave that shop until the bow is comfortable and you enjoy shooting it. If it's not a joy, you won't practice. If you don't practice, results aren't good.

I bought my first bow late '03 or early '04. I knew nothing about compounds and didn't have this site at the time to fall back on. Shooting my bow was a labor and I put it up for a coupla years. I started reading here early '07 and started practicing and adjusting the bow. Felt confident enough by Spring '08 to take it out to the woods and took a Spring turkey with my bow. My son called him in. Worth all the practice right there. I told my son he has just as much invested in that turkey as I do and it's OUR turkey.

Somebody good will point out bad technique hopefully before it becomes a habit to you. I wish I could go back in time and do it right from the start.

ShooterMcGavin

THanks for all the input and advice guys! I know John and Tereasa have their sale going on but I still need a place for set up and tunage.
I have also thought of gander and bass pro but did not know how well they do the job since they are big time stores and sometimes qaunity over qaulity could be an issue (although cecil had a good experience).
Again, thanks very much and still taking suggestions!

bobthebowhunter

Shooter I live in knoxville, and always looking for folks to shoot with. Gotta take it indoor this time of year though. I don't get off work until dark.

LCU

If BPS sells the bow you want,and the right people are working to set your bow up,you can come out OK.

I have seen BPS guys in Nashville sell bows and set them up without the buyer even shooting the bow, or any bow.
He choose the sights, rest etc. for the buyer.

IMO find a real bow shop with helpful people who know bows,and allow you to shoot demos,and be fitted.

I wanted a Mathews and have a dealer 5 miles from my house.
They were not real helpful,so I ended up driving 30 miles to another dealer. Worth the time and fuel,because I ended up learning a lot,and was fitted well.
JMO.

ShooterMcGavin

Sounds like a good plan LCU. I already have the bow on the way just looking for a reputable shop near me for setup and tuning and learn alot along the way.

Unicam

I bought my Drenalin from Eagles Wings but they were out of the bow set up buis. by the time I did. The only other place I will ever trust is Woods N Waters in Cookeville. Its a fair drive but they are worth the gas and effort, I have to drive up there from Atlana...should tell you what I think of them. Matter of fact they have just set up my Mathews and I plan on picking it up next week. If they ever shut down I am going to have to learn how to do it myself!!

LCU

ShooterMcGavin said:
Sounds like a good plan LCU. I already have the bow on the way just looking for a reputable shop near me for setup and tuning and learn alot along the way.

It took me a while to find the right bow shop.
Some are almost clanish.
Not sure why.
Good luck with your bow,and hunting. Real fun stuff.

ShooterMcGavin

Thanks alot guys! I Prob will see what john and tereasa have left at their shop then go to gander mountain (it is closest) to get it set up since I have not heard of any other shops around(besides the one in cumberland county).

Not to slight anyone, but most bow shops I have dealt with over the past 25 years or so, kinda frown on guys who buy their products elsewhere, then ask them to help set-up their bow. I think you are doing the right hting by investing the time to research a good bowsmith, then having them set the bow up. I suggest you buy as much as you can from that shop as they set it up.

Also...kudos to you for setting up a bow now. From about December thru about March, many bow pro shops are slow. That is a GREAT time to get quality help from the pros!

Latest posts