hello, new to site

muskyhunter

stumbled across y'all, good to find a place to talk to TN traditional hunters. hope everyone had a good year in '07

would be interesting to know some of y'alls set ups, recurve, longbow or selfbows. carbon, aluminum or river cane arrows, and the broad heads.

i just started primitave hunting last year, got tired of all the modern tech. made my bow last winter out of osage, a 66" flatbow at 48 pounds at 29 inches. made most of my arrows from river cane, made a couple from white rose brier shafts. used wing feathers from the turkeys i harvested last spring. use obsidian and flint arrowheads both authentic and ones i knapp out. but i do use a factory string. i use alumunim arrowshafts for small game, they are easier to come by than the cane or brier ones.
i took my first 3 deer, 1 turkey and 1 squirrel last fall and have to say that is the most fun i have ever had in the deer woods.
hope everyone has a great year this year, good luck to all!

adirondack46r

Hey Muskie,

Welcome to the site. Personally, I think if you're mostly interested in trad archery you should check out www.tradgang.com. It's a great site and only trad archery. Nevertheless, TnDeer is pretty good too.

I shoot a Brackenbury Quest. It's a sweet, fast, stable, smooth drawing bow from a guy named Bill Howland out in Washington state. I have a set of limbs that are 50 @28 and another set on the way that are 45 @28. I mostly shoot Carbon Express Heritage arrows, tipped with Magnus and STOS heads.

Congrats on the deer, turkeys and nutter with the self bow. I'm still looking for my first kill with the'curve. If there were a few more deer around Knoxville that would make it a little easier. ;-)

46r

CHRIS WILSON

Howdy. I've got a few different bows ranging from osage and hickory selfbows to metal riser competition setups. My current favorite though is a mid 1970's Hoyt Pro Medalist Hunter takedown recurve. I also went back to shooting aluminum arrows after shooting carbons for about 6 years. Much easier to get tuned.

Latest posts