Heavy Hunting setups

Antler Daddy

I've watched a few of the Hunting Public/ Ranch Fairy videos on using slower heavier arrow and broadhead combinations. I don't recall seeing anything about using the same concept for crossbow bolts.

Anyone have any experience or a link to this information? Thanks!

Heath423

2-Step Enabled
I do not have any links. However, like you I have following along and interested. I have watched and read stuff from the Asby Foundation website, Ranch Fairy and THP. At the beginning of the summer I sat out to increase the weight of my setup. Up to this point I have been shooting 400gr that is including the 100gr mechanical NAP spitfire broadhead. I had at least 2 failures that lead to the loose or non-lethal shoot of 2 deer in the past 2 years. Granted I did have some success as well. However, I believe that a heavier setup and fixed blade would have prevented the 2 failures. So I set out to fix the situation with knowledge gathered from the previously mentioned resources.
This season my setup will be 450gr with the 150gr Magnus Stinger on the front. That gives me FOC around 21.6%. Is it where I wanted to be? No. But it is a small step in the right direction. I plan on getting some heavier bolts right after season. I would like to be shooting around 550gr. That is about all I care to go because that will put me around 290fps and my speed ring only goes down to 275fps.
Go purchase a field point test kit to see how each weight shoots and which you like. There is a big difference in a 100gr verses 300gr field point being shoot out of your bow. If I come across any good heavy arrow xbow information somewhere I will be sure to share it here.

Latest posts