Hearing problem

Iglow

My ears, especially the left one , are screwed. I can't hear worth a crap now. What kind of amplifying plugs that will also block gun blast noise are out there that y'all have used? I don't want muffs, I need something that goes in like plugs and I don't want them to cost a fortune if I lose them in the woods.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Following:

Horrible hearing here.
Heard alot about the walkers but don't know anyone that personally uses them.
My biggest question is, can you determine the direction the sound is coming from if you have one in each ear.

Iglow

Yea, I'm gonna wear them all the time i'm in the woods so I can hear gobbling / hens and even stuff walking in the woods. I have some muffs I wear in the blind duck hunting that I got off Amzn and I can tell direction with ok but muffs ain't gonna work moving around in the woods.

Rick Dillard

Walker's Game Ear is good for amplifying sound as well as blocking loud sharp noises like gun shots. However, you will have great difficulty in determining the exact direction that sounds are coming from. Regardless, I feel "naked" going to the woods without mine.

scn

It is my major problem. My hearing in my left ear is pretty much gone. It makes pinpointing a sound impossible. If I am facing a gobbling bird, I have come to assume he is to the left of where I am "hearing" him.

I have a set of the Walker's ear muffs. They help in amplifying the spring sounds, but, for me, don't seem to do much for pinpointing any better. And, they are a pain to lug around. I also have a set of the Walker's ear plugs that are easy to carry. I use them to help with the muzzle blast of a short barreled turkey gun. Again, they don't seem to help much in the pinpointing.

eddie c

I've been wearing aids since I was 14. Pinpointing noise outdoors is hard because sounds bounces off tree, etc. It's get better with experience but if a person only wears the devices a few days out of the year it's hard to develop the sense of direction the sound is coming from.
Loud distinctive noise is easier to pin, close noise is easier but muted noise is hard. At least for me.

megalomaniac

I've found if I turn the volume up all the way on my bad ear (left) and halfway up on my better ear, I can pinpoint direction MUCH better than without hearing aids.

I lost mine 4 or 5 years ago in the woods somewhere, back to muffs since, and they are miserable. But I have to have some form of sound amplification... ive just lost too much hearing over the years to be effective hunting without.

fairchaser

I can hear turkeys pretty far off. Better than my friends and very thankful for that gift at 65. But, I've gotten terrible tinnitus and worried it's gonna effect my hearing. Also, I do a great deal of match shooting resulting in 1500-2000 rounds a season with hearing protection of course but still concerned. I ain't getting any younger. I'm probably not far behind looking a hearing enhancement of some type.

BassNTN

I have the Axil GS Extreme ear buds and rally like them. They are hearing protection and will amplify sound. They frequently run them on sale for 30-50% off if you keep an eye out.

Maude

I broke down and bought the Tetra Ampods last year and have not regretted it. I had my hearing tested and even though I had some high frequency loss, I didn't need $3-5K hearing aides for everyday activities. I can now hear turkeys gobble and drum, and can better determine direction. My only complaint is that they can get knocked out by brush and they are very hard to find in the leaves.

TN hunter

I don't have them, but have know several that do. Look into the Tetra Brand. The ones that has them love them. They're out of Nashville.
The tetra amp pods work great with sound amplification and reducing the noise of the gun blast. I haven't had any problems with pinpointing directions of a gobble. Great customer service as well.

rifle02

I have no personal experience with the better quality and higher-priced units. Some years back I tried some very low priced budget type hearing amplifier. They did amplify sound the problem is they Amplified wind as well. Any Breeze blowing across the side of my face or my ears sounded like a roar constantly. I quit using them after two times in the woods. I would suggest spending the money on the better units.

Bell3wv

My ears, especially the left one , are screwed. I can't hear worth a crap now. What kind of amplifying plugs that will also block gun blast noise are out there that y'all have used? I don't want muffs, I need something that goes in like plugs and I don't want them to cost a fortune if I lose them in the woods.
Sig Saur Axil earbuds are what I'm considering. I think they may be cheaper on Amazon.

Latest posts