haven't been skunked since

catman529

sept 1. Haven't counted the number of fishing trips since then, but on average, probably at least twice a week (slowing down more recently). Got myself going on a streak of not getting skunked. If I fail to catch the target fish for the day (bass, catfish, carp, etc) then I put on some "skunk insurance" such as a trout magnet and see if I can at least get a bream of some sort. Just gonna see how long I can go without getting skunked, for the heck of it. Keeps me trying on a slow fishing trip. I took a risk today checking out a small pond in the middle of the woods on a WMA. No idea what was in it, but I had to see. Pulled out a small bass, so the streak continues...

I know catching a bluegill is nothing, but when the fishing is really slow, it makes the difference between being skunked and catching a fish. Oh and dang bluegills make great live bait.

On another note, this forum has died down a heck of a lot. With a good reason... the rut is on, and I will be focusing on deer in the next couple weeks and not fishing much.

Reminds me of another goal I have. Gonna (hopefully) catch a catfish every month of the year. Never caught one in the winter before. Just some personal goals to brag to myself about, am I the only one who does things like this?

Random post for the night is over... time for bed

catman529

Swamphunter said:
If I don't catch the fish I'm after I consider myself skunked. Accidently catching a drum or catfish while bass fishing won't remove a skunk stamp. Accidently catching a bass while crappie fishing won't remove it either. That's for me. I guess everybody looks at it differently.
yeah everyone has their own way that's for sure. I see "skunked" as meaning that you caught no fish. If I so much as catch a shiner in a tributary with a trout magnet, I consider myself not skunked. The way I look at it, catching a 6" minnow is better than catching nothing at all. But it's up to you how you define "skunked" and the main thing is that you are out there fishing and enjoying the outdoors.

catman529

B.D. said:
Go muskie fishing, catman.

bd
not till my streak is finished :D

Believe me I do want to go musky fishing. It's on my list. looks like gar on steroids but not nearly as easy to catch.

shopson

Well I never got skunked when fishing solo. To get skunked somebody fishing with you has to catch at least 1 to your zero.

catman529

shopson said:
Well I never got skunked when fishing solo. To get skunked somebody fishing with you has to catch at least 1 to your zero.
hmm interesting, I guess there are at least a few different definitions of skunked. Never knew that, I just assumed it meant you caught no fish. That's what it means to me

Football Hunter

Swamphunter said:
If I don't catch the fish I'm after I consider myself skunked. Accidently catching a drum or catfish while bass fishing won't remove a skunk stamp. Accidently catching a bass while crappie fishing won't remove it either. That's for me. I guess everybody looks at it differently.
yep

Latest posts