Have a ? Need help!

Living2Hunt

I just bought a winchester sxp turkey gun. Bought a kicks .670 choke for it. I went to pattern it sat with winchester double x. Suppose to be the supremes? Im shooting 3 inch shell. Im shooting at a turkey head target. At 20 yards there are exactly 100 pellets in neck head area. This seem good to me, is it? What concerns me is at 40 yards theres only maybe 18 to 20. Dont know exact bc i was disappointed. I seen online folks were getting 200 in at 10 inch circle at 40. I was told to shoot the hevi 13 or blend in #6 bc its steel. Ive always shot 5 in lead. But its 27 bucks a box of 5! Jeeez! What do yall think?

KANATI McD

Imo, at 20 yards almost every pellet should be in a 10 in circle.
You can kill a turkey with that set up, but I would experiment with different shell and choke combos to see what your gun likes

I would hunt with it now, but definitely try to make it better

Living2Hunt

That is how i feel also! Kicks website says the .670 choke is made to shoot number 6 shot. Anyone use #6 lead to kill turkeys? How does it perform?

catman529

18 pellets in a turkeys neck and head is sure good enough to kill, if you can consistently shoot that way at 40 I'd say you're good, but that's just me

Southern Sportsman

What Camaro said. Judging the effectiveness of a pattern by the "head and neck" hits is a very rough way to do it. You should count the number of holes in a 10" circle (drawn around the center of the pattern) and the number between 10" and 20" at 40 yards. (Just use a big piece of paper. Don't worry about the turkey head targets). Usually if there is 100+ in the 10" circle, that is considered sufficient. Ideally, you want a pretty even number between the 10" and the 20" because you POI will sometimes be different and because turkeys move.

Boll Weevil

Polish the bore and forcing cone really well, screw a Kicks 655 in there (even a 650), and I bet your pattern at 20 yards becomes just one ragged hole about the size of a baseball.

Andy S.

catman529 said:
18 pellets in a turkeys neck and head is sure good enough to kill, if you can consistently shoot that way at 40 I'd say you're good
I agree 100%. You can get caught up with paper punching such as myself and many others have, but I can assure you that HTL, aftermarket chokes and X number of pellet in whatever circle is not a requirement to consistently kill turkeys 40 yards and under. I know way too many good ole country boys that punch their tags year in and year out with 3" lead shells and the manufacturers full or super full choke. Now, if HTL and an aftermarket choke will increase your confidence, by all means proceed down that road. But is it an absolute must, no, just a preference of many, such as myself.

Living2Hunt

I just hot off the phone with kicks! He said my problem is that the .670 choke is not designed to shoot #5 shot. He said im over choking it cause it to splatter. Told me the .670 is for #6 shot. He said the .680 is for #5 shot. I picked up a box of #6 and just shot one time while on lunch. Wow! Big difference!! Thanks guys for all the help!!

J-WO

At 20 yds there should just be a gaping hole in the target in my experience. But as another said, 18 pellets at 40 yds is plenty good enough to put one down.

Living2Hunt

Btw awesome customer service! Glad i didnt get hevi shot, he said there gt choke not made to shoot it!

fredfred

Try some lead 6's out of that choke it will probanly be much better than the 5's but no promises. Hevi-13 6's, 7's or Mag-blends will most likely nearly double your pellet count but as you said there high $$$$

Living2Hunt

Thanks guys! Was deff a hole at 20 yards. Couldnt count pellets! Cant wait to really parttern this gun now! Btw the gun is awesome! Shot 8 three inch shells and 7 3.5" shell sat and it didnt bother my arm at all! The gun has inertia action in a pump! Great recoil pad! Truley awesome!

Living2Hunt

fredfred said:
Living2Hunt said:
Glad i didnt get hevi shot, he said there gt choke not made to shoot it!

Thats BS too

Thats what they said! He said thats the only shell the reccomend not shooting in the gt choke!
Here is the number, call and ask! You should just call someone out like that!
(800) 587-2779

Living2Hunt

I never said it wouldnt shoot the ammo! I said they reccomend that you dont. I sir was not bull yugoting! I only said what i was told by the company that makes it. Anything else is irrelevant!

Southern Sportsman

I dont think he was saying that YOU were bullshitting us, but that kicks is bullshitting you. The pellet density between "hevishot" and the winchester extended range is the same. They tell people that their chokes arent "designed for hevishot." Which is true , they arent "designed" for any particular shot. They are designed to constrict a shot column to a certain diameter thus increasing pattern density. They do that equally well whether its hevi or win xr or lead. Lead just often likes a tighter constriction.

Living2Hunt

Southern Sportsman said:
I dont think he was saying that YOU were bullshitting us, but that kicks is bullshitting you. The pellet density between "hevishot" and the winchester extended range is the same. They tell people that their chokes arent "designed for hevishot." Which is true , they arent "designed" for any particular shot. They are designed to constrict a shot column to a certain diameter thus increasing pattern density. They do that equally well whether its hevi or win xr or lead. Lead just often likes a tighter constriction.

I agree!

Living2Hunt

And if he was talking about kicks bullshitting me, my apologies! I thought he said i was bsing. But i do agree! Extended is platted and does have the same density as hevi shot. He never did said which shell he recommend, just that #6 was best for that choke.