Hatch

RoyalPrudent

Ended with two birds this year, never got the third. Was encouraged to see two hens with at least ten poults apiece on Saturday in Rhea county. Looks like it will be a good hatch this year if we can stay relatively dry. Anyone else seeing poults on the ground? I'd love to know what you're seeing statewide.

TheLBLman

Glad to hear it but I havent seen any yet!

My current concern has been in seeing fewer hens, period.
They will need a super hatch to even have a chance of not going backwards for 2022.

Of course, location is everything, and my TN turkey hunting observations are 100% limited to Stewart Co. this year. Still, in places that once had a huge turkey population, today with better turkey habitat, a lot fewer turkeys.
Go figure.

woodsman04

Weather looks good in my area for the next ten days. Most poults here will probably be hatching middle of next week, with a few already hatched. No rain with high pressure and hot. Good for poults.

I'm hoping the delayed season in the southern counties helped poult production, but I don't know if it will. Other states have tried this before here, and they are struggling too. But, it's a good move.

AT Hiker

My current concern has been in seeing fewer hens, period.
They will need a super hatch to even have a chance of not going backwards for 2022.

Of course, location is everything, and my TN turkey hunting observations are 100% limited to Stewart Co. this year. Still, in places that once had a huge turkey population, today with better turkey habitat, a lot fewer turkeys.
Go figure.
I've noticed the same.
Also, TWRA released a report showing a consistent drop in poult production yet we manage to stay consistent with our annual spring harvest.
It's almost like we are hunting turkeys on credit and one day the lender is gonna want his money.

megalomaniac

If people would wait till june to mow hay it sure would help
Worst thing you can do is cut in June on my farms. Most hens are hitting 3rd week of incubation in June and they will NOT leave their nest. So you chop up both the nest AND the hen. In May, you may hit a few nests, but at least the hens run from the mower and you don't kill momma.

We chopped up 9 nests and killed 7 hens last June when we couldn't get up the hay when it was ready in May due to excessive rains.

PickettSFHunter

I need to do some looking this weekend. My county had our lowest harvest in many many many years. I checked data back to 2006 and harvest was significantly higher then with way less hunters. We need a lot of poults.

Latest posts