Harvest total...we're already behind

Boll Weevil

I just checked kill totals for the state and we're currently a little over 13k vs. almost 18k birds in 2021 with virtually the same number of days the season has been open. A lotta season left nearly 4000 less dead turkeys is not insignificant.

Check your county here if interested. https://hunterstoolbox.gooutdoorstennessee.com/?reportId=187

Remington700

Season seems behind here in west TN on the properties I hunt. Toms are still running together and not paying much attention to calls. Also, we haven't had green up yet. So it's hard to get a river bottom turkey to come in when he can see 300 yards. I think you'll see several killed in the next 2 weeks.

LenS

Montgomery County is at 359 this year as compared with 416 last year. I'm actually surprised it is that close with how crazy this spring has been. This morning was the first time the birds were scattered like they should be. Actually heard some birds gobble on the ground.

scn

2021 was rape and pillage due to the covid time off effect. The increase in kill did not reflect an increase in the population. And, our TWRA staff and Commission chose to ignore what had happened. I will be very surprised if the final totals aren't way down.

But, they will pat themselves on the back for studying it while it circles the hole.

deerfever

What dates are you putting in? Toolbox shows 15, 209 for me.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220411-205057.png
    Screenshot_20220411-205057.png
    20.6 KB · Views: 60

catman529

Been on plenty of jakes and longbeards so far. Weather has been a little funky, morels are not what they could be, and I've had some close calls, but I'd say for the central part of the state, things are looking good especially with the number of jakes I've seen. Even with the high harvest of 2020 and 2021 with people off work, it seems they got their breeding done and it's been a good hatch around here.

catman529

2021 was rape and pillage due to the covid time off effect. The increase in kill did not reflect an increase in the population. And, our TWRA staff and Commission chose to ignore what had happened. I will be very surprised if the final totals aren't way down.

But, they will pat themselves on the back for studying it while it circles the hole.
2020 was the highest kill year due to covid, not 2021. Also I've seen good indicators of a good hatch across multiple counties in the past few months. Also TWRA lowered the bag limit last year and seem to be well aware of what's going on, and have 2 studies going on right now that I'm aware of.

AT Hiker

I'm a data nerd, so I find way more enjoyment out of analyzing data than most.

As of the 11th
It would be nice if we could get the data on total turkey hunters to overlay it on harvest.

We have data that shows poult production is down but some how harvest is stable and up in some cases. Something is off.

paboom

It would be nice if we could get the data on total turkey hunters to overlay it on harvest.

We have data that shows poult production is down but some how harvest is stable and up in some cases. Something is off.
Absolutely, it would be extremely helpful. I'm not sure why TN hasn't taken the steps to obtain that vital piece of info, but I wish they would.

REN

IMO weather has somewhat an effect so far this year. Besides the first 3-4 days the weather has kinda sucked. Super cold and/or super windy or raining. Even I have decided to NOT go a good amount of mornings thus far rather then deal with the weather. This weekend was stupid cold and windy around here. Opening Saturday was like 35mph wind. Foliage is really late this year due to the late snow we had which I assume also has had an impact.

Latest posts