hack and squirt question

pass-thru

I've seen hack and squirt discussed on here before, but I've never tried it....I usually cut them down and paint the stump.

I have a very larger weed tree that has been shading out some saplings I planted in what used to be the back side of a barn...the barn is long gone but the ground is extremely fertile from years of cow crap concentrated in that area.

I don't know for sure what kind of tree this is....I believe it may be a boxelder. It is approaching if not over 3' diameter. At around 7 or 8 feet up, the trunk splits off into several massive limbs going every which way. No way I could cut this down without a cherry picker. I guess my next best option is to kill it where it stands so that it stops leaching sunlight, water and nutrients.

What is the proper way to hack and squirt a tree this size? Girdle it with a chainsaw and then spray concentrated herbicide in the wound?

PickettSFHunter

Since your just dealing with one tree and you are unsure of what it is, I would double girdle and put Tordon RTU in the cuts. Some trees do not kill well at all girdling without herbicide or will shoot up many rootsuckers.

PickettSFHunter

You can use a 50% Roundup mixture during the Fall when the sap is going down in the tree, but there are trees that you wont kill this. I like Tordon because I can use it in the Winter after deer season and havent seen anything it wont kill, including Beech, which is rather hard to kill.

BSK

smstone22 said:
You can use a 50% Roundup mixture during the Fall when the sap is going down in the tree, but there are trees that you wont kill this. I like Tordon because I can use it in the Winter after deer season and havent seen anything it wont kill, including Beech, which is rather hard to kill.

Yup, Beech doesn't respond well to Roundup in hack-and-squirt applications.

waumpuscat

I second the Tordon on the beech trees. My place use to have scores of those worrisome umbrellas and my Gransfor Bruks axe and bottle of Tordon proved to be a force for those hard to kill beech trees to reckon with. This year they responded faster than ever to my hack and squirt process. I would imagine the dry weather was key.

Latest posts