H110 and CFE BLK hard to meter?

LanceS4803

Working on 300BLK loads and using new to me powders, H110 and CFE BLK.
My RCBS Uniflow powder measurer, which has served me well for many years, can NOT throw a consistent charge. Set it for 18 and it will throw anywhere from 17.7 to 18.2. Very frustrating.
Being as the grains are so small, almost like sand, is that causing this?
Recommendations for a new dispenser? I think it is time to invest in something more modern.

ROVERBOY

I've got a Uniflow too. So far mine is still working good. I've had it for about 30 years. If you think you need a another one, why don't you buy a new Uniflow.

Remi

H110 runs through my Uniflow like water for my 44's. Mine always throws consistent charges with H110.

24.5grs with 240's
22grs with 270's

backyardtndeer

I had issues with some powders, mainly imr4350, with my Hornady powder measure throwing consistent drops. I contacted Hornady and they told me to run graphite like what you use in door locks through it. I did and it didn't really help much. I got tired of hand weighing every load and I bought a Frankford arsenal intellidropper on sale a few years ago, incredible the difference it has made.

mr.big

With that fine powder you can't bump the table it's bolted to or anything. You have to work it exactly the same ever time.

You can't throw one and seat the bullet and then throw another one either if it's on the same bench as your press.

Lone Hunter

You might want to take it apart and clean it if you're using Varget. It could be cutting some of the kernels and getting a fine dust in there. I use H110 on my 300 blk and it throws right on the money. I weigh every charge as I'm not a trusting soul. What Mr. Big said is also true In the post above this.

Lone Hunter

Pulling it apart for a cleaning!
And that Frankfort Arsenal dispenser has really attracted my attention. Seems to have good reviews.
It's like the guns, can never have too many. A big rabbit hole either way. You have balance scales to measure electronic scales to measure etc..
Clean it good and I believe it will measure properly, also like mr big said, don't have your measure and reloading press on the same table and use both at the same time plus raise and lower the handle on the measure the same every time . I don't use the Uniflow for anything except ball powders. Never had any luck with it using stick powders measuring properly. It always cut the kernels that's why I went to the electronic scale. Now I'm back to the RCBS 10/10. Good Luck to You.

Last edited:

Latest posts