H&R 20ga Slug Gun

batten_down

Looking to buy or trade for a break action Slug gun. Looking at something out of the H&R slug gun lineup or something similar. Im trying to put something together for my pre-teen Son this fall. Let me know what you have.

PMs welcomed. Thanks 🦌

Chiflyguy

Looking to buy or trade for a break action Slug gun. Looking at something out of the H&R slug gun lineup or something similar. Im trying to put something together for my pre-teen Son this fall. Let me know what you have.

PMs welcomed. Thanks 🦌
Good luck.
I've seen them going for 6-$800.
Been discontinued for years.

batten_down

His go-to weapon this year will be the crossbow. He's 9, and got drawn for his first youth hunt. He's pumped and so am I. Which led me to here. I like the idea of the break action for him and I'm ok with him growing into it over the next few years. If anyone has one they'd be willing to part with, shoot me a message and let's see what we can come up with.

Hduke86

His go-to weapon this year will be the crossbow. He's 9, and got drawn for his first youth hunt. He's pumped and so am I. Which led me to here. I like the idea of the break action for him and I'm ok with him growing into it over the next few years. If anyone has one they'd be willing to part with, shoot me a message and let's see what we can come up with.
What youth hunt did he get and congrats to him. Maybe if you cant find what you're looking for you could possibly get a cheap Mossberg 88 and get a rifled barrel

Last edited:

bds240

If you can find one of these fieldpods it's definitely the way to go. My 9 year old killed 3 deer shooting off of it last season. The first deer was a .50 muzzle loader and the other 2 was with a 30-30. Takes away alot of the kick and let's them take a steady shot. It's a different option, he may be able to shoot a gun you already own this year until you can find the gun that's right for him.

Bog Fieldpod

Caldwell Fieldpod

Last edited:

Wiley

Those H&R slug guns kick pretty hard, especially to a youngster. I sold a 20 gauge on here last year that I had as a backup to my Savage 220 but realized that I didn't like/need it. I put a Sims slip on recoil pad on it when I was sighting it in due to the recoil. That made a world of difference. Good luck finding one and ammo for it.

deerfever

What youth hunt did he get and congrats to him. Maybe if you cant find what you're looking for you could possibly get a cheap Mossberg 88 and get a rifled barrel
My son uses the Mossberg Maverick 88 with a cantilevered rifled slug barrel and shoots the Hornady custom lite reduced recoil 20 gauge slug. The gun was at one point around 190 dollars and then buy the rifled slug barrel. The good thing about that option is he has killed turkey , deer, doves , and squirrels with that little gun. It's been a dandy! Just a thought if you can't find the single barrel slug gun you are looking for. Anything that fits the Mossberg 500 fits that gun! The guns safety is different than the 500 and it cost less! Great gun for the money, my son loves it and he is 13 now, been using it since he was 6. Best of luck finding what you need!

Tn_Va_Hunter

I sold mine for $500 at the start of the year. Only reason I sold it was a got a Savage 220 bolt. Lighter and shoots just as well. My h and r loved the Remington accutips

UpperTully

You could probably get away with a CVA Wolf muzzleloader for less than a slug gun.
Getting slugs is gonna be hard.
I'd love to have a Savage 220 or H&R Ultra Slug but I agree with you. Finding slugs are pretty difficult right now. Shooting a smoke pole is probably a better option in todays time.

Chiflyguy

I sold mine for $500 at the start of the year. Only reason I sold it was a got a Savage 220 bolt. Lighter and shoots just as well. My h and r loved the Remington accutips
That H&R is heavy, too heavy.
I don't think they make accutips anymore.
Got 3 boxes left but retired my slug gun.

Rakkin6

Didn't know they stopped making the Accutips. I just thought they were hard to find like all the other slugs.

Latest posts