Gun Safe question

Gravey

Currently I have a gun safe in my house but have thought about moving it to the garage. Mine doesn't have a hole in it for an electric dehumidifier inside and it doesn't recommend drilling a hole. So my question is, does anyone have theirs in the garage and would the guns be okay as long as you put those Safe Dri packs in it that can be reactivated by putting them in the oven?

Thanks!

vonb

With the money invested, I don't think I could trust putting my guns in the garage without a GoldenRod.

Are you sure you don't have a hole in the back of your safe?

A couple other things to consider is ease of theft with safe being in garage. Not sure I'd want to entertain that either. I would rather have safe behind locked doors, security alarm and dog.

Savageone

If the safe is a fire safe, it will have no holes in it. Drilling holes will void the warranty and reduce the protection for your guns. I have mine inside and use the rechargeable humidifiers, which work great.

vonb

Savageone said:
If the safe is a fire safe, it will have no holes in it.

I don't think this is true. Liberty safes are fire rated and have the ability to run a plug out the back for a light/dehumidifier. I could be wrong.

Gravey

Savageone said:
If the safe is a fire safe, it will have no holes in it. Drilling holes will void the warranty and reduce the protection for your guns. I have mine inside and use the rechargeable humidifiers, which work great.
Yes it is a fire safe but like hunt127588 said, some have holes in the side or back to run an electric dehumidifier. Unfortunately mine doesn't.

woodchuckc

My Liberty fire-rated safe has a hole with a plastic plug in it from the factory. The literature that came with the safe indicate that it is for adding lights / dehumidifier. The hole in the metal is not big enough to pass a plug through, and you have to drill a hole through the sheetrock insulation to pass a cord through and then put a plug on the end.

300WSM

woodchuckc, I also have a liberty safe. Goldenrod dehumidifiers have a removable plug so that you can run the cord through the metal and then reattach the plug. I also have 2 oven-reactivated units in it.

woodchuckc

300WSM said:
woodchuckc, I also have a liberty safe. Goldenrod dehumidifiers have a removable plug so that you can run the cord through the metal and then reattach the plug. I also have 2 oven-reactivated units in it.

Thanks for the info, 300WSM. I actually went through the safe wall with an extension cord I made up and put a duplex plug on the end, and then plugged my rod and a light into it inside the safe.

Latest posts