Gun Question

jlmustain

The only shot gun I have is a Remington 870 pump with a full choke (fixed, of course). It's marked for 2 3/4" on the barrel. I don't have a clue what to use for shot size, though. I picked up some of the Turkey Thug shells at Walmart, and realized they were 3" when they wouldn't eject (obviously I wasn't very detail-oriented when I bought them).

I switched to my target loads once I realized it because that was all I had at the range yesterday, and I did my best to pattern and sight with those. It's possible that I could have some time today to go try to pattern and sight again once I get a good recommendation from y'all, but I don't know.

Can I get some advice on this situation, including shot size?

jlmustain

That may be a broader question than I know it is. This is my first season, and, like everyone else, I'm so stinking busy that I couldn't get out to pattern it and sight my red-dot until yesterday. I'm a little nervous because I don't know what I can do besides take my bow if I'm SOL on my shotgun for the weekend.

REN

with 2 3/4 id stick with 5's or 6's in the lead shells OR Magblends or 7's in the hevi shot shells.

2 3/4 shells have killed a bunch of birds. What barrel is fixed on it (choke wise) is it full or mod or what?

jlmustain

I live in Mboro. I went everywhere (I think), and I can't find these Turkey loads in 2 3/4. I've checked Mboro Outdoors, On Target, Richard's, and Walmart. Maybe I'm just not going to the right places. I went over to On Target to try to pattern on the 7 1/2 I have in 2 3/4. I did the best I could there with the 25 yard max they have. I had to talk them in to letting me use the smaller shot in there. I may just head out with the 7 1/2. I have a hard time thinking that no one ever killed a turkey with that. Ha!

scn

7 1/2s will kill a turkey. But, they do lose their penetration quicker than larger sizes. I, personally, wouldn't feel comfortable shooting a bird past the 30 yd range with 7 1/2s.

Most of the stores used to stock some high brass 2 3/4s in 6 shot for late season doves, pheasants, etc. If you make another swing through, make sure they don't have some of those. They probably will be in a box of 25 rather than one of the little box of 10.

The 6s should be even better for you in your gun.

Brad C.

It's gonna be tough to find any 2.75" turkey loads anymore due to the fact that most are either 3" or 3.5". The best thing I can tell you to do is to get a box of heavy field loads in 1.25oz of #6's and use those.

Latest posts