GSP

Tweeter

Ok so I got a pup that wasn't took very good care of, he's starting to warm up to me. I did throw some dead quail for him, he's not afraid of feathers in his mouth. I have some pigeons to tease him with and gonna get some live quail. He has "pointed" a few things, his poop, yard rabbits, and the pigeons in a cage for a split second. How in the world do you work these dogs???? Only dogs Iv ever fooled with us coon hounds and duck dogs.

Deer@Dawn

Establish the bonding first. Lots of petting, praise walks, chasing a dummy or ball. Work on basics! Come, sit, stay, heel, fetch. Establish discipline of activity. Repeat repeat, repeat until perfect. Make it fun but firm. Good luck and enjoy your companion. Two of my best dogs were GSP's that were cast offs. Best damn dogs I have ever owned (or owned me!)

Jim

jlanecr500

I'm sure you can train him to hunt whatever you want. However, I would rather start with a bird crazy dog. 2 of my Brittanys are bird crazy and the other one isn't but will still hunt. I have a Brittanypoo that is just crazy as a yugohouse rat right now. I hope she will hunt once she calms down some.

tree_ghost

If he's anything like my girl then he's very emotional. I've never seen a dog so clearly express its emotions toward you. I found it crucial to gain her complete trust in me before we could train. My girl is all birds all the time…it's a double edged sword when we are trying to train for shed hunting. But when it comes to birds I swear she can preprogrammed….she never works out past 40 yards and has held point since she was a pup. As I type this I'm thinking I have to get her out on to more bird hunts. It's an injustice not to watch her work! Good luck with the new pup!

Attachments

• 38B70D3A-CD0B-4BF0-ADFF-DFEB6E08491E.jpeg
    38B70D3A-CD0B-4BF0-ADFF-DFEB6E08491E.jpeg
    311.6 KB · Views: 40

tickweed

How old is your pup? age determines training. If a very young pup, keep it fun. Dont try and over do it. They have very short attention spans. Keep it fun. Training a dog is like building a house. You must do it by steps, and you cant skip steps. I would recommend finding a trainer that trains GSPs, and talk to them. Many think they have a trained dog, that are self trained, but in reality, they dont. If the dog has a good solid bloodline, they have a head start, but need the right training to bring it out.

Latest posts