GSP For Duck Hunting???

BowGuy84

German Shorthaired Pointers find blinds?

Not sure on ducks, but they are some hunting dogs. I imagine you could train them to get ducks no problem but don't know how they would do with the wet/stationary hunting. I'm sure others will chime in.

BowGuy84

I did too the first time. I'd be interested in know what others say.

I've considered alternative breeds for my soon to come duck dog, but decided why mess with a proven thing in the form of a lab. Now which lab? British or American...decisions never end

turk870

never have hunted with one but have seen some people with them at tests they are capeable,they have alot of energy way more than a lab(and the 2 labs we have are like tornados)they will require alot of training compared to lab.but it is verey doable.

Nitro

I have a big male shorthair and he will find and retreive ducks. Has a good nose, is smarter than most people I know, don't know the word quit, can swim non-stop what seems like for hours. But, he is hard to keep still in the blind and gets cold if not moving on frosty days. Mine is primarily a pointer and was trained early on to hunt quail. He is extremely well natured and we can leave him alone in the house without worry unless there are t-bone scraps or something irresistable in the garbage. If you train a GSP early on to sit and be still in the blind and find a good neoprene vest for cold days, then you should be fine. They are very smart, capable and athletic. Just get one young and do your yardwork every day. Also, if you live in a neighborhood, a shorthair can clear a 4 foot fence without thinking twice and can climb out of a 6 foot kennel if theres no top on it.

Latest posts