Grundy county

Cklem

Hello ladies and gentlemen, I'm new to this forum and would like to introduce myself, live in NC not far from tenn. line, I have acquired permission to hunt private property in tenn. Grundy county around Coalmont, now a good friend of mine owns 2500 acres near Coalmont and has given me free reign. I have hunted NC, GA, New England states and other areas all my life, GA being a fun place to hunt, but GA ain't what it use to be, I have a lot of friends who have started hunting around Grundy county, I have a question that I hope someone can honestly answer, is trespassing as bad in this area as they say? I have been told that the hunting can be pretty good, but hunters I know have had lots of things stolen, had some buddies tell me just last week when they went to their lease to hunt, there were more hunters on their property than deer. I just would like to know what to expect. I'm headed there this weekend for the first time to hunt, I went there once a few weeks ago for the property owners to show me around. The owners say trespassing has been outrageous, but there was a GW from the next county that had gate keys and patrols it on a regular basis. Thanks

Cklem

All over, there are 17 tracts ranging from 800 acres to 5 acres, basically every place that has been select cut. There's that 800 acre tract when you turn right at the city hall, go a little way and take a left, there's a gas substation on top of a ridge, there's a gated rd right by the gas substation that people have been driving around. I believe it's off country farm rd. then there's a bunch off Fremont road, all very close to Coalmont.

MUP

I'd say you pretty much described what you'll be experiencing already. Good luck. It's that way pretty much all over, and I'm just over the line in Seq county and experience the trespassing and poaching issue every single year, on my private property that is.

Cklem

It sounds to me like the horror stories are true, I have some huntin buddies that now have a lease on Grundy/sequachi line, they say the trespassing is aweful. I've known some of them all their lives and I fear a touchie situation might not end well. I've been reading a lot of material regarding Grundy, it seems some want folks to come in and spread some money around. Same thing happened in my area years ago, everyone I knew was fairly bad off financially, to put it into perspective teachers were considered the well off folks. My county is 70% national Forrest, then developers came in , bought the cheap mtn land, marketed it to folks with money for a beautiful place to retire or for weekends, city people wanted mini farms you know. We all hated it of course , our hunting and fishing where we wanted was stopped by sherriffs office and GW. After a few trespassing charges it's just not worth trespassing anymore. Then I woke up one day and realized, that most every poor family I knew growing up were fairly well off now, they made their money building houses for the new comers, along with everything else that comes along with that. My parents who had nothing live in a fine new home, I realized my new 3500 sq ft home on my own tract of land that I bought was only possible because of the (outsiders), I said all that to say that Grundy county is a beautiful area, I have come to know a lot of folks with money in my life from all over, and I can tell you that folks are taking an interest to that area, lots of folks from Atlanta area. So the weekenders buying land and building weekend retreats are coming to Grundy. I would think that the folks that want in on the progress would take an interest in getting involved within the community, by discouraging the activities that I've heard goes on around there. What do you folks think about that sort of thing?

Good time Charlie

I can go along with you on the trespasser's but forgive me if I am wrong here,it sounds like you have some financial interest in this county.
You are looking for friends for some reason.

TDW05

2-Step Enabled
Im from there, hunt there, and know what your talking about but there is good people and bad everywhere and anywhere you go. They do have a reputation up there but you should be fine. Dont leave stands, trailers, or anything like that. Trespassers and spot lighters are gonna be your biggest problem.

Vermin93

The Grundy / Sequatchie county line runs right through our lease. Between the local pot farm busts, hunting "accidents", meth heads, root pickers, maple tree poachers, ATV joy riders, trespassers and road hunters, it's a hoot! ;)

So far I've only had one trail camera destroyed, but every time I unlock the gate at our lease I wonder if I'm in for any new unpleasant surprises. I do like that our lease manager is a pretty tough country boy who doesn't put up with any crap.

Grundy County man charged in hunting shooting death
http://wkrn.com/2015/11/12/grundy-county-man-charged-in-hunting-shooting-death/

Police make massive marijuana bust in Grundy County
http://www.wsmv.com/story/26168794/police-make-massive-marijuana-bust-in-grundy-county

Cklem

Thanks for the replies guys, and as for financial interest, at this time I really don't have an interest, but my good buddy does for sure, and after spending some time there, if I like it, I might be interested in talking him out of a piece of land for myself to build a cabin, it seems there are some fun outdoor activities there, these properties have some ponds that are from 10-20 acres with bass and bluegill,(I'm an avid kayak fisherman), While I was looking around I seen the first wild quail that I've seen in years, I like bird hunting, you see, that's how it starts, someone finds a place like that, then word spreads, the next thing you know land that sold for less than $1k per acre ends up $30k per acre, and that's where the local money comes from, thanks for the good wishes, I'll report back after next week, lol.

mikemc411

Grundy Co. Used to be known as the car theft recovery capital of Tn ... Cars stolen / stripped / dumped and eventually recovered by authorities ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

garnermtn

Watch the movie Deliverance and you have Grundy county. They don't take to kindly to outsiders. It may be private property but if they've tresspassed and hunted it for years and you confront them you might be in for a surprise. can't imagine what it would be like to be a GW there

CDUB

The hunting potential is good. Big body deer with good antler genetics. Several 150+ in the registry from Grundy. But some of the people are wilder than the animals. If your gonna spend time on the mountain get a hand gun permit and carry a side arm at all times. People have tried building cabins before and returned to find a burned up meth lab. Be very careful.

MUP

mikemc411":2do1vegg said:
Grundy Co. Used to be known as the car theft recovery capital of Tn ... Cars stolen / stripped / dumped and eventually recovered by authorities ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back when I was growing up, my Dad had two 4x4 Ford's recovered in Grundy. One was burning when he found it(all out search, he knew people), and the other he found 11 months and some odd days later....still the same color, just some white spoke wheels added. He came back with some friends and TOOK it, and as the temporary owner banged on the window as he was pulling out, he stopped, pistola in his lap, and told the guy, if this is YOUR truck, come and get it in court! End of story.

It was rough living on the Grundy/Seq line back in the day for sure.

Cklem

Thanks for the warning. I will just open carry my handgun, and by the way, I don't scare easily, I've been in a lot worse situations than a confrontation with an idiot. And they might be the ones that get the surprise, these are the same stories I've heard from others, it's no wonder Grundy is the poorest county in Tennessee. I'll bet there are some good folks around there though.

REM7

All these stories got me scared of that Grundy place. People that trespass and got guns and break the law and such, why anybody would want to go there??? ;)
Good thing I live there. Those type of people exist everywhere, in every county in this state and many others. My advice is if your from out of town is to meet the neighbors and introduce yourself and state your intentions. DON'T flash a gun as intimidation tactic on any stranger in Grundy or any other place for that matter. Just got hunt enjoy your time in the mountain region but just be smart about it. Some of those people you think are so bad, may just be the first people to lend a hand if needed.