Grouse?

saddle hunter

Is there a huntable population of grouse in eastern Tennessee? Here in western NY there used to be a good amount of birds (back in the 80s) but now there all but gone.

mike243

Like all small game I think I have read they have cycles, I rarely hunt where they live these days due to the terrain so have no knowledge from the last 10 years or so, I have seen very few posts about them here over the years, I can tell you there's a lot of walking involved lol There are supposed to be a lot up north but have never had the chance to find out. We have 1 member with dogs he trains, maybe jlanecr500 will drop by and share some info

Last edited:

Mattt

Like all small game I think I have read they have cycles, I rarely hunt where they live these days due to the terrain so have no knowledge from the last 10 years or so, I have seen very few posts about them here over the years, I can tell you there's a lot of walking involved lol There are supposed to be a lot up north but have never had the chance to find out. We have 1 member with dogs he trains, maybe jlanecr500 will drop by and share some info
There are a few of us here.

GUNNERX2

Been a long time but I would see a few deer hunting on Carter Mtn WMA (I think it's got a different name now). The last one I saw was in a grassy area off the main hwy going through AEDC WMA of all places.

PickettSFHunter

I used to see them all the time here around the big south fork as a kid which was 25-35 years ago. Wouldn't have been an issue to shoot quite a few a day just hanging out in gravel roads. The last one I can remember seeing now was like 15-18 years ago, something like that.

Soft Talker

I know 3 different spots here up high, that I can usually flush at least 1. Cutover edges, getting older each year. See or hear them during Turkey season mostly. Never hunt them though. When I was a kid, I went on a deer hunting trip to Northern Maine with my Old Man, Uncles , and Grandfather.. We where there to "track" big woods bucks on snow. Went over like a fart in church. 6 frozen "Crackers" 😄 One thing we did manage to kill was Grouse. Them yankees call them partridge. They were ruffed grouse sure 'nuff, and we killed the piss out of them. Mainly in or right off gravel logging roads. Fine eating they were.

Weegee

Not a grouse hunter, but the only one I've ever seen here was in Martha Sundquist State Forest. Was walking along a logging road and one scared the crap out of me as it flushed.

Hymie3

I've seen a few on Cumberland plateau on timber lease land and the mountains of tellico. Not enough for me to get fired up about it. Seems like it would be fun if there were enough to hunt.

Planking

I used to see them on the top or near the top of the small mountains near laurel thickets. Started seeing coyotes for the very first time in those same areas and never saw another grouse. That was 30 years ago.

jlanecr500

Coyotes were the demise of grouse, among other things in our region. My uncle had hundreds of ducks that stayed on the creek that passes thru the property. I sold off more than 100 in the late 80's. Fast forward to present time. I raised 7 ducks to get started. They lasted less than 10 days once I turned them out. Coyotes

Lt.Dan

Is there a huntable population of grouse in eastern Tennessee? Here in western NY there used to be a good amount of birds (back in the 80s) but now there all but gone.
I remember hunting in the Finger Lakes region for rabbit and would always get a few grouse as a bonus. I would love to see one/ take a few. They are some tasty birds.

saddle hunter

I remember hunting in the Finger Lakes region for rabbit and would always get a few grouse as a bonus. I would love to see one/ take a few. They are some tasty birds.
I've hunted them in the Watkins Glen area back in the early nineties. Flushed a few of them.

7mm08

Hunted them in Maine , Minnesota, and East Tn. My favorite upland bird.

Let's don't count out the guy on an ATV with a .410 H&R Topper covering 20 miles a day or more of trails ground sweeping a few grouse. Most grouse in Maine are killed this way with guys riding the roads slow. Hate it but it's true.

So an increase in ATV's all over the mountains equals a decrease in grouse…

Latest posts