Food Plots Groundwork on new plot finished!

megalomaniac

We just finished up a new 3/4 acre plot i had been planning for over a year on a new piece of property i bought a couple years ago. Its on a slight rise in the middle of a 40 acre swampy hardwood bottom. The hardwoods were poorly managed by the prior owner, timbered heavily, and successional growth was mostly Chinese privet. The ground around it is impossible to access with heavy equipment much of the year due to standing water. It finally dried out enough around the plot to bulldoze a road to the area, clear the area and pile up the logs to burn, excavate the stumps of the prior timbered hardwoods.

I won't be able to get our drill to this plot, so the plan is to seed it this next weekend with wheat, rye, radishes, and clover for this winter. Next summer I will put the plot in grain sorgham to grow biomass and increase organic matter in the soil.

I'm really excited about this plot for kids
425166727ae95eae081af95af8c3013c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

DeerCamp

Are you surprised it's that acidic?

Either way, sounds like a really neat spot for a plot. Giving them some munchies in the middle of a swamp.

Considering it's near water and a highpoint, did you notice any evidence of Native American presence?

megalomaniac

Everything is surprising on this farm... one 2 ac field i reclaimed last year has a ph of 8!... just a few hundred yards away! Still debating about putting sulfur down on that field for next summer.

Never thought about looking for arrowheads... but thats great advice after we get a rain. I picked up a ton when I was a kid just a couple miles away from this spot. I will definitely do that!

megalomaniac

TN...

I do not think property in MS is a good investment....

I have a sneaky suspicion that when the state flips blue, property taxes in MS will be so high that you cannot afford to own raw land.

I only own 2 acres and a house in MS... I keep buying and improving land in TN.

Maybe Ben Shapiro wants to buy a manicured farm in middle TN and I can retire!

megalomaniac

Just finished putting down 50 lbs wheat, 25lbs fria rye, 5lbs radishes, and 3lbs clover. Topped it off with 1000lbs pellitized lime, 200lbs triple 13, then drug the plot

And it just started to rain :)

JCDEERMAN

Looks great mega. Love the drone pic. I'd like to get one of those and figure out how to fly it. I have a really cheap one and can't get it 10 ft off the ground without crashing it :lol:

megalomaniac

I can't fly the thing... or at least I dont trust myself to fly it. My 16yo came up with me and he's the expert!

Got the exclusion cage installed, cameras hung headed into the plot. Just need some serious rain and first frost to hold off for 3 weeks!

megalomaniac

Filling in nicely, the radishes are a bit yellow from the low pH, I suspect.

Next year should be much better

Attachments

• IMG_4435.jpg
    IMG_4435.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 95

megalomaniac

Deer haven't even found it in the middle of the jungle! Doe and fawn are the only ones using it. But it sure is pretty

Attachments

• 20201111_001321.jpg
    20201111_001321.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 94