Groundhog Trapping Question

Outdoor life

Hey I noticed today that we have a few groundhogs back around our barn again. We had them back when I was younger and they went on their own. Well I found their new holes today, and now, unlike back then, we have a live cage trap.

So here is my question: Is their a "go to" bait that brings the groundhogs to the cage? Or is baiting a live cage trap with anything illegal, and if so, how would I get them in the cage then?

Outdoor life

Thanks guys! I'll give it a try tomorrow I believe. It'll be nice if they are just out in the open and I can fix the problem real fast, but they are fast critters.

pressfit

you can always bury a foothold trap down in the den, if no chance of pets getting in it, a 160 conibear down in the den is a #1 groundhog getter.. you can also snare them with out much effort..

rhyned

As Pressfit said, a conibear is the way to go if you don't have to worry about other animals getting in it.

Outdoor life

Well I don't own any conibear traps, all I own is live cage traps. Pets run wild where I live but I never see then around the barn so I may try one. How much do they cost and where do you get them?

A friend brought over some peaches so I thought I would try it, and no that don't work haha.

Latest posts