Ground Shrinkage?

Flintlocksforme

What do you do with ground shrinkage? We've all been there probably. Celebrate anyway? Be thankful? Learn and keep hunting?
All the above and this tip: Set the bucks head up really nice and sit on the ground trying to look as small as you can. Get someone else to take your picture with a cellphone and you are good 👍🏼 a 16 inch wide rack can be made to appear a foot wider than your shoulders.

Ridgeline300

We definitely should be thankful for any and every deer but I also think it's ok to have a goal in mind and when you mess up and fall short of that goal to give yourself a kick in the butt. I've called myself a freaking idiot on more than one occasion, lol. Don't dwell on it though, just move on and try to learn from it.

DoubleRidge

... I also think it's ok to have a goal in mind and when you mess up and fall short of that goal to give yourself a kick in the butt. I've called myself a freaking idiot on more than one occasion, lol. Don't dwell on it though, just move on and try to learn from it.
I agree...nothing wrong with setting goals and trying to kill the most mature or biggest buck you have around the area you hunt.
But if you kill and your goal wasnt met...be thankful for the opportunity to hunt and enjoy the good meat.
Learn from it and move on.

fairchaser

If I truly did make a mistake, I try to learn from it. Especially why I made the mistake. What factors led me to that mistake, so I can prevent them from occurring again.
How much tolerance do you allow? In my case, he was the right age 3.5,
but scored 114 vs 120. My mistake was deciding too quick to shoot and never looking back.

BSK

How much tolerance do you allow? In my case, he was the right age 3.5,
but scored 114 vs 120. My mistake was deciding too quick to shoot and never looking back.
Mistaking 5 inches of antler? I don't consider that a concerning mistake.

For me, having a goal of a 3 1/2+ year-old buck scoring 120 or better, and I kill a 2 1/2 scoring 105, THAT is a mistake worth reflecting on.

HenryCohunter

My 8 I killed was a mistake… I thought he was a different deer we had seen minutes before.. but when they are on the hoof chasing a doe .. it's shoot or not in seconds.. he wasn't the deer I was after but he is a fine deer and gonna be delicious. I got caught up in the trophiest mentality for a few years because of buddies and just general atmosphere in the hunting community.. but I'm again back to my roots.. I hunt to eat. I try to be a conservationist and a steward of the land. I am still a little picky but if I haven't killed a deer and one walks out… it .. he/she will get put to rest.

themanpcl

What do you do with ground shrinkage? We've all been there probably. Celebrate anyway? Be thankful? Learn and keep hunting?
IMHO, If you pick what you shoot, there is no shrinkage. Before I draw back or click the safety off, I already know that's the deer I want to shoot. However, if you ground check something because you have 2 tags and saw bone...what does it matter anyway?...Especially for those who shoot to be able to brag about the distance they shot the deer.

Latest posts