Grilled fish ideas?

RKenney

I have always fried fish, but I want to eat healthier. What are
some tips on recipes, methods, and tips on grilling fish. Is
charcoal a good choice to cook on?

mike243

charcoals great,just add some wood for real flavor,some Cajun spice can perk up the blandest fish & a sauce to finish it off with is decent,hit a few recipe websites for sauces ,mike243

vabuckbuster

I always have a tough time grilling fish due to it sticking to the grills, even though I spray before hand. Hard for me to keep the fish from breaking apart once it starts sticking.

Like you I would rather grill it though

mike243

a fish basket works well to keep them together while you grill them,now i got the urge to grill some,only have some crappie so a fishing trip is in order,well reckon a trip to the store might be more filling on 2nd thought :) ,mike243

Sako

I grill almost all of my fish (my 8 year old would eat it eery meal if I cooked it for him) and the fish basket if the ticket.... i brush with olive oil and sprinkle Tony C's on it (cajun spice)

Bullfrog

The best thing i've found for grilling fish is:

1. 1 large piece tin foil
2. shape foil like a bowl
3. add fish
4. add spices/liquid smoke..or whatever you like
5. enclose - fold foil back over
6. when everything comes to a boil, it is ready

Microwaved fish is also pretty awesome:

1. 1 large plate
2. spread butter and spices on plate
3. place 6 pieces of crappie/4 pc of bass down
4. add butter and spices to top of fish
5. Microwave for 60 - 90 seconds or until meat is white

At our cookouts, we ususally do fish 3 ways..fried, grilled, nuked.....and the nuked is always the first to go.

Bayou Buck

I grill my redfish (salt water) on the half shell. It should work with any scaley fish. They make special pans made for grilling fish on the pit with out it sticking.

Easiest recipes are cajun seasoning and italian dressing. Or use onion powder, garlic powder, pepper, butter and lemon.

bowriter

R.I.P.
Green Doe has a thread on here that I posted on with a super recipe. Not exactly grilled. But I have counter top grill you can use indoors. Grilled fish, especially salt water fish, are great grilled. The biggest mistake is cooking them too long. Just experiment with some different brushes, (sauces brushed over them). Once the fillet begins to flake, get them off the heat. Salmon is one of the best. Catfish is the worst.

There is only two ways to eat catfish: Fried and gumbo.

bowriter

R.I.P.
Halibut or cod. But here is a recipe that we love and healthy, too.

Little evoo and alittle butter.
Sautee the trinity-chopped onion, chopped green bell pepper and chopped celery. About a cup of each. Add minced garlic to taste.

I like a little fresh basil and a little oregano. When they get happy, add a little chopped tomatoe. Then lay fillets on top, we use Talapia a lot and add one half cup of white wine. Cover skillet and cook for about four minutes. The wine is the secret. But season to taste. I use Tony Chachere Cajun seasoning but just lightly.

Serve the veggies over rice and side with grilled apsaragus. I think he'll eat this. It is one of our favorite dishes and real easy to fix. Just be carefull not to overcook. You want your veggies crispy and your fish just flaking.

Now you can do the exact same dish with dead chicken, just put it in the oven at 375 once you put the lid on. Cook for about an hour and serve the same way. _________________________

sc8point

It has been a while but I used to cut filets into strips finger sized then boil in water with crab boil until just done. Then dip into cocktail sause and eat like shrimp. Bass and crappie work great.

bowriter

R.I.P.
sc8point said:
It has been a while but I used to cut filets into strips finger sized then boil in water with crab boil until just done. Then dip into cocktail sause and eat like shrimp. Bass and crappie work great.

try that with bream fillets. Can't tell them from shrimp. If you know how to twice fillet northern pike, try it with them. Just make sure you fillet out the Y bones.

OldHunter

Bayou Buck said:
I grill my redfish (salt water) on the half shell. It should work with any scaley fish. They make special pans made for grilling fish on the pit with out it sticking.

Easiest recipes are cajun seasoning and italian dressing. Or use onion powder, garlic powder, pepper, butter and lemon.

Crappie are great on the "half shell" bass are ok but not as good as the crappie. BB you are right it does work on any scaly fish.
The skin and scales also add a very good taste to the fish. I've tried grilling fish a lot of different ways but this way is by far the easiest and the most tasty. For anyone who doesn't understand the "half shell" part all you do is fillet the fish but leave the scales and skin on the outside intact. Lay the fish on the grill scales down and cook to your delight. It is not necessary to flip the fillet just cook until it suits you.

mike243

my wife had a "fried onion" crusted grouper while on our 25th wedding anniversary trip last week,it was baked & had a citrus sauce under it,it was very tasty,we went to the Fish Grill in Melbourne Fla.,this would work well with any thick fillet, i plan on trying it with walleye or sauger just as soon as i can catch a mess :) ,mike243

Latest posts