Green Up

DeerWhisperer

Just noticing on the drive in to work today, it looks like we have seen a big boost in the green-up this week. It literally looks like the trees have put on a full canopy of leaves the past 3 days. Many fields are already ahead of what we had last year.

Its nice to see but it seems we are ahead of last year. I will make the transition to the woods earlier this year.

Last edited:

AT Hiker

Most definitely! From Sunday till this morning is a night n day difference.
Wheat has exploded too. Some of these fields up on TN/KY border are almost waist high. Hopefully the harvest isn't expedited, I'd love to see some hens/poults take advantage of it.
Same thing with our woods here. Fingers crossed we have an excellent hatch and above average poult recruitment. We sure could use it.

REN

yeah its unfortunate for me. with the later season and earlier spring 2 of my spots I normally hunt hard early season are almost useless now. Between the field wheat being tall now and the forest ground now green and tall it just eliminates those from options which is sad for me personally. they are always my favorite places to hunt each year.

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
I actually like it when there's more green out. Easier to move when needed.
Me too. Plus the birds are more spread out it seems to me, instead of being in one field. Right now my neighbors field has 7 gobblers and 20-30 hens in it, and they stay basically all day there.

AT Hiker

Seen a bunch in the field up by Pilot at exit 86, I don't hunt them but someone with KY tags should look into that area about permission, see them suckers all the time.
I think I know what flock you're talking about. I watch them all year, driving back n forth to Hopkinsville.

It used to be a whole lot more than that. I remember seeing them on all sides of that Pilot a few years back. Interstate side, Ft Campbell Blvd side, etc.

Latest posts