Grayton Beach Offshore Kayak Fishing

Canonman

Neal and I took off for Grayton Beach over our fall break. I posted some updates already but here is the full story, pics, and later Ill add the amazing footage!

Day one we started out catching mullet in the bay which proved harder than expect and then hit the beach. Fishing about a mile offshore we dragged baits for awhile producing a nice pair of kings. We missed five more bites including one big king that launched itself ten feet in the air when he hit my bait.

1.jpg

The afternoon produced nothing more than a remora...this turned out the be the the case for every afternoon. Afternoon totals for three days included a remora and one blue fish.

Day two we hit the beach early as we had bait already to go from the day before. The morning was pretty good in a few hours of fishing we produced another king and even a cobia. Neal hooked the cobia and as I was taking pictures I noticed a second cobia swiming along side Neals, but wasn't interested in the bait.

Cobia.jpg

Day Three Drew showed up to test out the coosa on open water. I was pretty set on the idea that he would be trailing behind a bit, but the coosa handled the ocean well! We went throw the pass and braved some huge swells and the coosa did amazing and Drew could even stand in pretty rough water. The speed of the coosa was impressive too yes it was slower than the 140 and 120 but not by much. This morning turned out to be the best yet as we produced two kings one being 25lbs, three spanish, two cats, and drew even caught a squid.

King.jpg

Catch.jpg

O yea I almost forgot to mention this is where the 300lb Bull Shark came in. As we were paddling along Neal looked over and said man its about time someone gets a bite and no joke before he even finished the statement his line went to screaming! He started getting dragged out to sea and I could barely keep up. I finally caught him and about that time my line gets hit and I boat a nice king then return to aid him. After a lengthy fight well over an hour we see the shark and all of us are blown away by the size of the fish. Before we can get a great look the tail finally cuts through the mono and off he goes. Luckly we saw the fish and got video of it. So it was all good as we would have cut that line anyway.

BullShark.jpg

Day four was our travel day, but we could resist fish for one more hour. We got up at 5am and were waiting on the beach for day light. Got bait and were under way. We fished for an hour producing two kings including Drews first. Neal had a tug from a Tarpon but no hook up.

IMG_0122.jpg

woodyard

Hey canonman,What is the thing sticking up on the end of the yak?
I did have a 13'6" future beach yak rigged. Been to the Tampa Bay area one time with it before my son wanted to trade his heritage angler to me. He was afraid I was gonna get hurt loading the future beach since it weighed more than the heritage and I am getting to be an old guy. I have beeen fascinated with all the rigging that people do to these. I wasn't sure what was attached on the end of the yak in that pic.