Got my Hawken out today

FrontierGander

A horrible day to choose as it was 90* and the sun was just beating down on me. 5 shots total, 3 for the group and 2 more 15 minutes later once I adjusted my sight, reloaded my tubes and then went back outside. The only thing I can say about shots 4& 5, I noticed the sun was behind the clouds and I was able to make out my rear sight a lot more clearly. I will leave it 2" high for now.

110gr goex 2f

.020" moose milk lubed patches

.562" homecast round ball

100 yards.

Rubberduck270

Looks like she's 2" low to me :grin:

Great shooting for iron sights. Makes me want to dig my TC New Englander out and fling a few Maxi Hunters...

FrontierGander

I use 6 o clock hold which means the tip of my sight is directly under the entire 8" bulls eye. I can see my entire target without covering it up this way.

TennesseeJed

I have a .58 Green Mountain drop-in barrel for my Renegade. That is one fun gun to shoot. I was so used to shooting my .40 at that time, it was unreal to see the impact of a .58 caliber ball. I was using an end piece of a cross-tie as a backstop and it would knock it flat every single shot.

Grill-n-man

Glad to see the real smoke poles are coming out. Waiting for it to cool off a liitle bit then the ole Lyman great plains 54 cal will be coming out along with a TC 45 cal I picked up this spring. Not shot a 45 side lock before and really looking forward to it.

GOODWIN

Frontier- good shooting! See you live in CO. You ever shot an elk with the patched round ball? My Dad drew a MZ tag and we will be headed out in a few weeks. He's currently shooting a .54 round ball. Just curious as to your results? He torn between this and a Great Plains conical.

FrontierGander

Yes, I took my first muzzleloader elk in 2008 with a 54 cva mountain rifle with a .530 round ball and 80gr pyrodex rs. I got her at 140 yards with a single shot to the lungs. I'd recommend more powder, especially if shooting out to 150 yards. I think my load was really pushing it but hey, its a ball, it kills by boring a hole through the vitals, not so much by expansion.

GOODWIN

FrontierGander said:
Yes, I took my first muzzleloader elk in 2008 with a 54 cva mountain rifle with a .530 round ball and 80gr pyrodex rs. I got her at 140 yards with a single shot to the lungs. I'd recommend more powder, especially if shooting out to 150 yards. I think my load was really pushing it but hey, its a ball, it kills by boring a hole through the vitals, not so much by expansion.

Wow 140 yds! That's a long poke with iron sights! I believe he is shooting 100gr black powder.

Latest posts