Got my first yote usin a call

SNIPER 7MM

Very pleased with the performance of my rifle and hand loads. 400 yard shot, 70 gr nolser ballistic tip in .243 dropped in his tracks
coyotewithrifle.jpg

SNIPER 7MM

redblood said:
good shootin, but if u called him you shouldnt have to make a 400 yard shot

used a primos ki-yi call, set for cottontail distress sound. he might not have come to the call, who knows but i would shot another one at 400 next time i go if see one. i aint takin no chances tryin to get him close.

SNIPER 7MM

Sidewinder said:
Male? Looks like a good size. How big was he? What call did you use? Come on we need details.

Good job

probably bout 30-35 lbs. yep he was a male. using primos ki-yi call set for cottontail distress

stik

redblood said:

had one hang up on me about 350 yds. it sat for 20 minutes looking but didn't come any closer. i should have taken the shot but i thought it might come closer. 400 yd shots on called 'yotes are not that rare. that's where your 22-250's and other 22 centerfires shine.

MRUTVOL

SNIPER 7MM said:
redblood said:

used a primos ki-yi call, set for cottontail distress sound. he might not have come to the call, who knows but i would shot another one at 400 next time i go if see one. i aint takin no chances tryin to get him close.

Good shootin!
I get tickled at some of these guys on here who kill a few yotes and then they know all there is to know about yote hunting. They kill a few yearling or young coyotes that have never been called which will for the most part fall all over themselves coming to a call and think all coyotes will do the same. There are some yotes, especially the older ones who have been called before, that will just freeze up kind of like a turkey will sometimes if he feels something just might not be right. I have had them come in hard and just sit down on me at 300 yds or better assesing the situation. Some will come on in and others will just walk away. A lot of times your setup can be where they pick up something that just does not seem right but if you feel you can make a long shot on one by all means go for it! I have had them fall in my lap and had to shoot them at 400 plus either way it is a dead coyote and that is all that matters. "Only good yote is a dead yote" ! :grin: