Got it done.

RidgeRunner13

With my schedule this year, hunting has been rare for me. Today was my 7th sit since bow season opened. I've just had terrible luck this year when I did get out, but it all changed today. There was a problem with the lock on the gate this morning so I had to hoof it from the main road, which only added about 150 yards to my walk. There was another member trying to get in but he couldn't. So we wound up talking for a bit longer than I had planned. I got in the stand right before first light. I sat there for about 15 minutes before the cold took over and I was shaking. So I eased on my bibs. About the time I got one leg zipped up I heard a deer take off down below me and saw it flagging, but it didn't blow. So, I hurried up and finished putting my clothes on. About an hour later I heard a grunt from the same thicket that the other deer had ran into. I eased on around in the stand and just started watching. Next, I heard him and then I saw him. I pulled the binos up and saw his left main beam through the brush and he looked good enough for me. He was nose to the ground and running all over the place. I set up to catch him in a clearing but he turned on me. After that, automatic reflexes kicked in. I got him to stop and had to lean out a bit from the stand to get around a tree. I fired the first shot and he was still standing there but facing me. I thought "what the heck?" He had his head down still so I put the crosshairs where the neck and the shoulders meet. I fired again and he was instantly down. I was sitting there thanking the good Lord when I saw him try to stand up. So to end his pain I fired one more time and he was done. By no means was it textbook but I've finally got one in the freezer.

e2f589e59cfd5cb6c17d8ad567b30012.jpg
9de4caa63a4ae8699f30d72d29819c04.jpg

Everything happened so fast that I never noticed his other main beam was gone. It was broke clean off. It wouldn't have made a difference though. I would have killed him all the same. Hopefully the next time I get to go the one who broke his main beam off will step out.

194aacc29b451d40de2f362b3a007be8.jpg

PillsburyDoughboy

Comgrats!!

I had a guest cull hunting on my property a couple of weeks ago right before thanks giving, we had given him specific bucks we were targeting to take out and of course if he saw a buck worth of shooting he was welcome to take one of those.

Anyways long story short he wound up taking a buck we had not seen. It was a 3 pointer on one side and he was missing his rack on the other side.

He was sure happy to get some backs traps and sausage. All he ever gets to hunt is public land so he was happy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RidgeRunner13

PillsburyDoughboy":2yocurkn said:
Comgrats!!

I had a guest cull hunting on my property a couple of weeks ago right before thanks giving, we had given him specific bucks we were targeting to take out and of course if he saw a buck worth of shooting he was welcome to take one of those.

Anyways long story short he wound up taking a buck we had not seen. It was a 3 pointer on one side and he was missing his rack on the other side.

He was sure happy to get some backs traps and sausage. All he ever gets to hunt is public land so he was happy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's hard to tell from the pictures because of the angle of the break. But this guy had his main beam broke off. And judging by the deep scaring on his skin it was something pretty powerful that did it.

I feel ya though. I was just excited about getting meat down. Typically I would just take does for meat but that hasn't been an option this year. I was starting to get worried.

Latest posts