Good primer swap/test video

FredRog72

Some probably are familiar with Bolt Action Reloading on you tube but this video is excellent for new reloaders wondering if they can use small pistol primers in place of small rifle primers. This guy has a lot of very good videos, especially if you're new to reloading.

Hunter 257W

Interesting, I was just talking about this with a friend who is running low on LR primers and has been substituting LP primers. But he's not doing it blindly since he's one of the most analytical gun nuts I know. He's using them in cast bullet loads for his 30-30 mainly that stay within the max pressure of the 44 Magnum. Since the 44 Mag is allowed to go to 36K psi, any rifle load that stays under that should be no problem. The difference in height of the two primers has been no issue so far for him but I'd expect that to be a case by case issue for each gun and load.

Thankfully I haven't had to think about substituting yet. My stocking philosophy for primers being that you are out when you get down to 5,000 and need to order more right away has kept me from running too low over the years.

mr.big

if youre running factory actions with small primers you gonna pierce about all of them if you running any kind of pressure at all,,,some are easier to pierce than others but if you have your firing pin fitted to the hole in the boltface it will pretty much put a stop to it,,,
Greg Tannell at gretan rifles does a killer job
watch video

Latest posts