Good luck to all this morning!

Carlos

Who's going after 'em today?
I'm about to walk in. There were some Gobbler tracks in the dirt road that were large enough I could see them from the truck this morning. I bet today's going to be awesome, expect to hear plenty of gobbling.

Good luck everybody!!
đź‘Ť

megalomaniac

Hunted past 3d in MS, toms have started to group back up. Saw gobbler tracks yesterday in my truck tracks from Monday, but no vocalizations. Have seen 3 hens, all silently feeding. Perfect weather yesterday am and this am, but not a peep yet. I feel one will get fired back up before season ends on May 1st, but I have to pull a 72h shift this weekend.

I don't really like hunting this way, but I'm just going to have to pick a high travel route area, stick to it, and call sparingly keeping my eyes peeled for one for a few hours. Its also possible they are roosting off my lease and just working their way onto it midday..... but I've found at least 2 sets of tracks made since the rain Sunday night.

Carlos

There was one gobbling at dawn. This may be the bird I'd been after for several days, he's usually roosted over a creek, along a bluff-line that's nearly impossible to access without making a ton of noise.
I grabbed my jacket, calls, and set out, leaving the decoy behind intentionally.
Well today he roosted in another spot, around 100 yards away. I started
making my way closer to him as quietly as I could, had to wade a small creek, and go up the next ridge. (That wasn't ideal, since I had plans to hunt all day, and it was 40 degrees at the time.)
He gobbled on his own 20-30 times. When I got to what I thought was within 100 yards of him, I gave a few soft yelps with the wing-bone call I made from my 1st Gobbler. He answered back, sounded really close. I had already picked out a spot to setup, and plopped down right there, already starting to shake with excitement. He stopped gobbling for about 5 minutes, and I thought maybe he was still on roost, and had seen me because the woods are still very open without any leaves.
Then he went off again, closer still. I saw his white head bouncing to my left, he was 40 yards away, looking for me.
I eased my hand behind me and scratched in the leaves 2x. Then scratched 2x more along with the quietest yelps I could possibly muster on the diaphragm call. He gobbled again, nearly blew the hat off my head, and turned back to the right. I had to wait for him to clear some thick stuff, as I watched him strutting at 35 yards. He stopped and looked for awhile several times, going in and out of strut. Then he took a few more steps into one of the only openings I had. After it was all over, I stepped it off and he was at 24 steps.
Weighed in at 20.5 lbs, 10.25 inch beard, and 1.25 inch spurs.
That's the third Gobbler I've ever killed, all 3 of the from the same WMA. I was even able to make it home before the kiddos left for school, and got a picture with my Son. What a great morning!

I'm blessed beyond measure!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220420-075249_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220420-075249_Gallery.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

WilcoKen

There was one gobbling on Catoosa at dawn. This may be the bird I'd been after for several days, he's usually roosted over a creek, along a bluff-line that's nearly impossible to access without making a ton of noise.
I grabbed my jacket, calls, and set out, leaving the decoy behind intentionally.
Well today he roosted in another spot, around 100 yards away. I started
making my way closer to him as quietly as I could, had to wade a small creek, and go up the next ridge. (That wasn't ideal, since I had plans to hunt all day, and it was 40 degrees at the time.)
He gobbled on his own 20-30 times. When I got to what I thought was within 100 yards of him, I gave a few soft yelps with the wing-bone call I made from my 1st Gobbler. He answered back, sounded really close. I had already picked out a spot to setup, and plopped down right there, already starting to shake with excitement. He stopped gobbling for about 5 minutes, and I thought maybe he was still on roost, and had seen me because the woods are still very open without any leaves.
Then he went off again, closer still. I saw his white head bouncing to my left, he was 40 yards away, looking for me.
I eased my hand behind me and scratched in the leaves 2x. Then scratched 2x more along with the quietest yelps I could possibly muster on the diaphragm call. He gobbled again, nearly blew the hat off my head, and turned back to the right. I had to wait for him to clear some thick stuff, as I watched him strutting at 35 yards. He stopped and looked for awhile several times, going in and out of strut. Then he took a few more steps into one of the only openings I had. After it was all over, I stepped it off and he was at 24 steps.
Weighed in at 20.5 lbs, 10.25 inch beard, and 1.25 inch spurs.
That's the third Gobbler I've ever killed, all 3 of the from the same WMA. I was even able to make it home before the kiddos left for school, and got a picture with my Son. What a great morning!

I'm blessed beyond measure!!
Great description of your hunt. Congrats!

Latest posts