Going traditional

DntBrnDPig

Well, after trying to find a good deal on a newer bow - and failing - I pulled out the Browning Wasp I bought a couple years back that I have never shot. My arrows were doing all sorts of stuff in flight so I did some research and found Stu Millers spreadsheet. Using the spine calculator with the carbon arrows I have and realized I needed around 175 grain field points/broadheads to reach the sweet spot to match the bow.

So I got everything on order, including some new feather fletchings and a jig, and I am committed to shooting the recurve. I'm still practicing every day with the arrows and points I got. At 15 yards I can consistently hit a volleyball sized target, which isnt great but alot better than my first day of shooting it.

I'm excited to get proficient with it and hopefully to get one on the ground this year with a recurve!

FOX FIRE

Sounds like your hooked, ther mountains of fun to shoot and you'll get better with practice, just stay after it.

Since you went with the heavier field points has the arrows settled down & shoot'n better ??.

DntBrnDPig

I havent gotten the heavier points yet. But I'm hoping with the heavier points, new feather fletchings, and a new hair rest & plate - my tail whipping arrows will setting down.

FOX FIRE

I guess I got lucky, mine shoots good with either some old XX75 2117s I had for years or the newer carbons I picked up at Wally world, keep us posted how it works out.

DntBrnDPig

I got my feathers, fetching jig, and 175gr field points last night. After screwing up the first arrow, my second fletching was a success.

The good news is that the new feather fletchings and the heavier field points have my arrows flying straight! I rigged up my feathers in a right helical pattern and they spin my arrow pretty good.

I love shooting it!

FOX FIRE

I've fletched a bunch over the years, took me while to make myself slow down & I got some better.

You have me think'n I mite need to get all my junk out & shoot just to make sure its as it should be, season aint that far down the road.

DntBrnDPig

Yeah, my last few arrows were definitely the best ones I have done. I think I was going too fast and really didnt understand how it should look.

I bought full length feathers so I had to cut them down to size and then shape them. Instead of buying a cutter box I just made the pattern I wanted out of cardboard and then cut each trimmed feather to shape.

The last 3 arrows I did look pretty sweet. Havent had a chance to shoot them yet with all the rain we have had here.

Latest posts