Ginseng

WORM82

I have been exited and counting the days till i could get out and dig ginseng on the 15th. Got the new TN hunting guide and seen they had moved the season opener from Aug 15 to Sept 1st. IT was a tiny 2" X 2" ad on one of the pages in the hunting guide and had looked thru the guide 10 or 15 times before i noticed it. But on the North Cumberland WMA it still says ginseng season starts Aug 15th. I thought i would post this just incase someone else on here was waiting on the 15th.

WORM82

Not on the N C WMA. I live to far from that place, probably an hour or more east of it. Im near Kingsport and Jonesborough in Sullivan and Washington countys. Havent hardly been out in the woods since turkey season ended but everyone has been saying they have seen alot more snakes this year than they usually do. It wouldnt bother me any if i didnt ever see another snake or bear for a long long time.

dh1984

ok this is right from SCN mouth well his typing LOL

scn said:
Page 18 of the Hunting Guide in the lower left corner in red it tells you that the law was changed effective July 1, 2012 and that the harvest season for wild ginseng is Sept. 1-Dec. 31.

It IS NOT open tomorrow.

timmy1007

� No license is required to dig wild ginseng on private land in Tennessee, but the landowner�s permission must be obtained.
� A Ginseng Dealer Permit is required to buy ginseng harvested in Tennessee for resale or to transport across state lines.
� No ginseng may leave the state of Tennessee without an export certificate.
��The harvest season for wild ginseng in Tennessee�is September 1�- December 31. The buying season is from�September 1�- March 31.
� Tennessee state law prohibits the harvest of any wild ginseng plant for sale or export that has green berries or less than 3 prongs.
� Tennessee requires that seeds of collected wild ginseng be planted immediately in the approximate location in which plants are harvested.
� Most state lands are closed to harvesting ginseng, including all state parks, natural areas, and state forests, and nearly all wildlife management areas. Collecting ginseng on state lands that are closed to harvesting is illegal and carries penalties and fines.
� The Tennessee Department of Environment & Conservation, Division of Natural Heritage, serves as the state�s ginseng coordinator. This office can be reached at (615) 532-0431 or at:
401 Church Street
7th Floor Annex
Nashville, TN 37243
� A permit is required to collect ginseng in Cherokee National Forest, which can be contacted at
(423) 476-9700 or via mail:
2800 Ocoee Street N.
Cleveland, TN 37312

Latest posts