Giblets

catman529

Last year I caught a catfish with a pigeon liver taken from a squab I killed.

Now I got the heart and liver from the turkey I just killed. Going to save every heart and liver from every bird, the catfish love them. I threw out the gizzard because it was packed full of junk and I never had much luck fishing with them.

Who else saves their giblets for catfish? I got to hit the water again soon but all this turkey and morel hunting has me distracted.

Nimrod777

Actually I like giblets too well to throw them out as bait.

Next time out, take a raw chicken breast and chunk it up. It stays tight to the hook exceptionally well, and catches just as fast as any liver will.

catman529

Football Hunter said:
If turkey and morel hunting has you distracted ,dont EVER start small mouth fishing. :)
My biggest smallie was 18.5 inches in the Harpeth River, more than 3 years ago now, caught on a piece of a big minnow. I've caught some good 2 pounders occasionally with lures, heck they are fun and I prefer them 2x over largemouth just because of the fight. They fight like twice their weight.

But I guess I have not got addicted before... there are only around 1/3 as many smallies in the harpeth as largemouth, and I catch em once in a while, but when I do it is awesome. Maybe next time I'm bass fishing I'll put on one of the old yum crawbugs, good stuff.

Nimrod777 said:
Actually I like giblets too well to throw them out as bait.

Next time out, take a raw chicken breast and chunk it up. It stays tight to the hook exceptionally well, and catches just as fast as any liver will.
You're the second person who told me that here (unless it was you last time) and I have to try it soon. Liver doesn't hold up well at all, but it caches fish. I once caught a small cat on a store bought turkey heart so this fresh frozen turkey heart should also work but maybe for a big cat.

bowriter

R.I.P.
Too messy for RSimms. He is a purist, he uses the breast of a dead chicken. Not near as messy. Just a higher class of fisherman :)

Just nine more days, Simms.