Gallatin steam plant

catman529

I think I might go this week now that it's cold. Guy who hunts the farm where I live told me a buddy was catching tilapia recently and caught a 2 pounder and threw it back. I want me some tilapia even if the rockfish aren't biting. Anyone been there lately?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MidTennFisher

My buddy was fishing there yesterday and got a few bass but didn't get a spot near the barrier to try for Rockfish. He said main channel temps were in the mid to high 40s. Shad should be all up in there and the Rockfish follow. The Tilapia are already there, they get in there when the main channel temps fall below 60.

Just FYI - You may want to read up on the recent water testing and what was found being discharged by that steam plant before you eat any of those fish. Especially Tilapia since they're bottom feeders. Some pretty nasty stuff was found. There was a story on the news a few months ago about it. I haven't even gone this Winter because I'm not sure if I want to eat those fish anymore or not and I definitely don't want to put the effort of cold weather kayak fishing for fish I don't intend to eat. Good luck if you go though!

MidTennFisher

They've been in Old Hickory for a few years now. Nobody knows exactly how it happened but most agree that it was from the 2010 flood and a local tilapia farm leaked into the Cumberland. They are all over Old Hickory.

catman529

larry ipock":24qj6np1 said:
One question? When did Tilapia get in Tn. waterways?
they are stocked in many ponds for algae control. Normally they die off in the winter. I'm guessing one of the floods washed some out of a pond into the lake.

catman529

I went to the steam plant today. Only a couple hours of daylight to fish, but not a bad evening. A couple bream and a couple yellow bass, and a handful of small largemouth. Then a drum that would be 2 or 3 pounds. I caught all the small fish on a crappie magnet and then caught the drum trolling a jointed shad rap outside of the cove. I want to go back sometime and try again for the tilapia. Only 3 other boats at the barrier today.

Pinwheeled

There are no fish at the Steam Plant. The few that are there taste like crap. I wouldn't waste your time. [emoji52]

Latest posts