Gala and fuji apples

Hollar Hunter

Before I did the research and got help from y'all I Planted gala and fuji trees and their growing good about 7 foot now. My question is will they produce without tons of spraying. All my other trees are freedom liberty and goldrush which are all high disease resistant. I can't get out and spray all these trees regularly and the gala an Fujis are in some of my most prime plots. So should i just cut them and replace them with the others that are disease resistant or will they produce? Would love to know if anyone has any that do well?

PickettSFHunter

Gala will do ok more than likely, I grow severally organically and have production. They are my favorite fresh eating apple. Yes production will be lower though without a good spray plan. Fuji are much more suspectible to a wider variety of diseases and really should be sprayed. Doesnt mean they wont survive and doesnt mean they wont produce BUT you will get alot more problem with them and are more likely to lose them. You still should protect every apple tree from borers though, no matter the variety.

tn droptine

How often do you spray them? I planted two apples and two pears last month, but I am only home every four months or so to take care of them. One of the apples was a Gala, and the other I believe was a Yellow Delicious. Do pears need sprayed as well?

PickettSFHunter

Pears typically do not require as much or any spraying but all fruit trees will benefit by spraying one thing or another. You literally have to spray every week or even after rains to do it correctly which just isnt practical for wildlife folks 99% of the time which is why you should really go as diseases resistant as possible. You have to find where the balance is in your situation. I dont spray any of my pears but I have ran into plenty of disease issues with pears. Im actually going to be cleaning out some fireblight in a Kieffer this weekend.

tn droptine

smstone22 said:
You literally have to spray every week or even after rains to do it correctly which just isnt practical for wildlife folks 99% of the time which is why you should really go as diseases resistant as possible.

What are some varieties that would be more disease resistant that you would suggest? I plan on planting a few more here and there every year.

PickettSFHunter

tn droptine said:
smstone22 said:
You literally have to spray every week or even after rains to do it correctly which just isnt practical for wildlife folks 99% of the time which is why you should really go as diseases resistant as possible.

What are some varieties that would be more disease resistant that you would suggest? I plan on planting a few more here and there every year.

Apples or pears or both? Sadly you wont find many locally in TN except for pears just because they tend to be more resistant. There are tons of good apples. I would refer you to Adams County Nursery, Cummins Nursery, or Century Farm Orchards. Just google them and you can see their websites with disease resistant cultivars listed. If you buy several, you can get decent prices. Most bare root whips will blow past a container tree shortly anyway. And with these nurseries you get to pick your rootstock whereas most TN nurserymen dont have a clue about rootstock other than knowing its dwarf, semidwarf or standard. Rootstock is the first thing I ask any nurseryman about, and if they cant say what it is other than dwarf, semi, or standard then I do not buy.

Latest posts