G5 montecs

fireman815

Wanted to get some opinions on the g5 montec pro's / con's ..i have a buddy that swears by muzzys and has killed all kinds of deer with them also so i have been looking at them also. I am a new bowhunter and shoot a matthews outback i know there are 200 kinds of broadheads out just looking for something decent to start out with

Sent from my LGUS992 using Tapatalk

Fulldraw61

There are many broadheads and many opinions. I myself have tried many including Muzzy. The issue i ran into with some was planing and inconsistent accuracy. I have harvested deer with several brands but the most consistent on spot accuracy has been with Slick Tricks. With today's faster bows I recommend a lower profile fixed broadhead. Shooting an arrow is not rocket science; it's physics. The larger the profile broadhead the more it tends to plane and drift in any wind. I will probably get some debates here but that's okay as bows and shooters are not all the same. If you compare a Muzzy side by side with a Slick Trick you will quickly notice a big difference in how the Slick Trick is more sleek and lower profile. A quick test or aerodynamics and planing make a paper airplane as sleek as possible and make a fat thick airplane and see which flies straighter and more accurate. With proper shot placement any broadhead will harvest an animal but an accurate broadhead definitely helps. I hope this helps.

Sent from my LG-K540 using Tapatalk

tree_ghost

Re: G5 montecs

My wife shoots the G5 monotec and has had great success with them. I touch the edges up with an Arkansas stone and her 24" draw and 42lb setup produces passthroughs 9/10 shots...very durable also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TNDeerGuy

If your equipment is setup, matched and tuned properly you can shoot just about any head with no problems. That being said, Montecs are great broadhead, but so are Slick Tricks. The Montecs can easily be sharpened and reused. As I stated in my initial sentence, just make sure that everything is matched and tuned properly and you won't have a problem.

Also, welcome to the group!!!!!

Fulldraw61

G5's are very good and these and Slick Tricks are all i shoot now.

Sent from my LG-K540 using Tapatalk

fireman815

Thanks for the help guys theres alot to take in with bowhunting im leaning towards the montecs just because they seem so simple and are one piece design but really appreciate all the help also full draw will def look into the slick trick as well

Sent from my LGUS992 using Tapatalk

AlexDad

I shot Thunderheads for years with no problems. I switched to Montecs this year and they tuned easy and fly fine but I can't comment on how they perform on a kill. Never got to draw my bow this season.

The only reason I moved over to Montecs was THs fall apart when you unscrew them and switch to field tips - minor thing and petty I know. And the ease of sharpening Montecs compared to buying new blades for THs. Montecs are all one piece so they can't fall apart. I know you can technically resharpen TH blades but I had little success with such a small blade.