frustrating hunt..........

redblood

Got a call from my buddy that I hunted with a week or two ago. He missed a yote we called in on a goat farm and he was hankering for revenge. I have been sick for a week and didn't really have the motivation to go, but he had several virgin farms near cornersville he wanted to call so I was game. Got to the first farm at about 645. Long walk to our spot and set up about 15 yards apart. He is looking over and sage field and I am watching a drainage. Bout 10 minutes I am surprised by a boom. Spin around in time to see the azz end of yote disappear over the rise. He said he was coming hard, but just got anxious and took a shot at him running right towards him. Look at a couple more farms that we decide not to call due to the wind. Finally, hit one that the wind is right. Get set up and call for about 20 minutes and see a young solo male coming right towards us. Everything thing is perfect. Wind in our face, and we have a ton of cover. We call. He comes. Slow and steady. Stops at 40 yards and I say kill him. Miss. Clean miss. He spins and takes off. He fires once more on the way out but no dice. I tell him it will get better soon. I think he just has a sever case of yote fever.

redblood

It has been a strange yr, we have called a ton and killed plenty but have left a lot still drawing breathe. I think the reason why he missed today, was he bought an ar 15 and is not use to the trigger, plus he is use to shooting deer from a shooting house and hasn't adjusted to the smaller, faster, smarter target

redblood

he just bought the gun and mounted the scope Friday. He says it shot a good group. It is a flat top dpms with a nikon monarch on it. Not my kind of gun, but an expensive outfit. I am a bolt guy and know nothing about black guns

JDP

Sounds like a nice set up! Hopefully he can get more used to it and the trigger pull. I agree I'm more of a bolt guy too. I have only shot the M16A2 and the M4 in the Army and neither with any optics.

MWoodard

I quit taking my AR after missing a few with it. The gun is very accurate I just lost confidence with it.It also takes some getting used to if you have been shooting a bolt action all your life.

JDP

I was thinking about maybe geting one to hunt when I'm off Ft Campbell. I wouldn't know where to start with an AR.

MWoodard

I like mine and have killed several with it but I have missed some chip shots with it too.Most were just rushed shots but like I said I lost confidence in it so it stays at home most of the time.

THE ONE

I had a ar15 and missed and missed and missed, gun shot great on paper but i couldn't kill anything with it so im back to the cz an savage!!! What day did you hunt blood? This wind is driving me crazy i haven't been since we went last time!

redblood

Today was my first hunt since me and u went, and I didn't want to this morning. The wind and temps sucked, but they were moving. Amazingly. The weather is gonna be pretty crap this week as well.

THE ONE

redblood said:
Today was my first hunt since me and u went, and I didn't want to this morning. The wind and temps sucked, but they were moving. Amazingly. The weather is gonna be pretty crap this week as well.
Maybe we can get this wind to lay and me, you, and blue can try them farms we hit last time dont forget your calls this time!

Latest posts