fruit trees

utvolsfan77

I just add a little each year due to cost. Caging, tubes, t post and spray gets expensive. Make sure to get a couple good sets of hand pruners to cut the suckers off the bottoms that pop up when dormant. But it gives me and my son something to enjoy together and learn at the same time.
I've been seriously considering going with some of the older trees (5-6 years old that supposedly bear fruit a year after planting) but the cost shoots up to around $125 each. At my age and with my medical issues, I'd rather pay more up front and see some results before I kick the bucket. Most folks probably start at an earlier age, but I only recently inherited some land after my mom passed. Based upon your experience with the chestnut trees, would buying older trees at the beginning pay off in the long run?

Last edited:

Tn_Va_Hunter

I've been seriously considering going with some of the older trees (5-6 years old that supposedly bear fruit a year after planting) but the cost shoots up to around $125 each. At my age and with my medical issues, I'd rather pay more up front and see some results before I kick the bucket. Most folks probably start at an earlier age but I only recently inherited some land after my mom passed. Bases upon your experience with the chestnut trees, would buying older trees when beginning pay off in the long run?
I got 2 year old trees from Walmart or rural king. They was 5 feet or so when I got them. So this would be almost their 6th year and they are well over 10 feet tall with some pushing 12.

They are pretty fast growers. I've I can remember tomorrow I'll take a pic of them when I'm at my farm and send to you. And also send a pic of one of the 2 year old I picked up this year.

utvolsfan77

I got 2 year old trees from Walmart or rural king. They was 5 feet or so when I got them. So this would be almost their 6th year and they are well over 10 feet tall with some pushing 12.

They are pretty fast growers. I've I can remember tomorrow I'll take a pic of them when I'm at my farm and send to you. And also send a pic of one of the 2 year old I picked up this year.
Thanks for the information. Looking forward to learning more about this process.

PickettSFHunter

I've actually found that bareroot trees can catch larger potted trees after just a few years. At one time, I had around 200 apple, pear, and chestnut with many varieties. Bears have reduced that to around 30 by breaking the trees all the way over. Welded wire won't stop them. 10 plus years is where I've started seeing good apple production on various varieties on M111 rootstock. Certainly see production before but not loads and loads. Here are some of my favorite for deer, Florina Querina. I really like Goldrush, Wolf River, Liberty, and Enterprise as well. All of my Ark Blacks eventually died of blight.

Attachments

• 07B24869-00A6-47E4-8532-09DD2E9E702F.png
    07B24869-00A6-47E4-8532-09DD2E9E702F.png
    582.7 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

Latest posts