From my early years

trap55555

2-Step Enabled
I ran across this while starting to clean up my parents home after the recent passing of my father (mom preceded him). This is from my early days of TN hunting. I always pause and take a look at something like when I run across it and the memories instantly come back. I thought some of you would find it interesting to see how things were and how much they have changed.

What change do see that has surprises you the most ... Or the least.
Obviously the prices have changed.
I forgot just how many eastern counties (or portions of) were closed to all deer hunting.

I hope these pages are readable.

78-79-Hunt-Regs-Pg1-1100x1122.png

78-79-Hunt-Regs-Pg2-1100x1395.png

78-79-Hunt-Regs-Pg3-1200x1479.png

78-79-Hunt-Regs-Pg4-1200x1594.png

BSK

Very cool! I noticed no muzzleloader season yet. When did they start that?

I didn't buy hunting property in TN until '87 but did hunt Franklin State Forest sometime around '84.

My first year deer hunting was '79, in KY (Logan County). At that time, gun season was two 3-day weekends (Sat-Mon)- first weekend of November and first weekend of December.

recurve60#

Very cool! I noticed no muzzleloader season yet. When did they start that?

I didn't buy hunting property in TN until '87 but did hunt Franklin State Forest sometime around '84.

My first year deer hunting was '79, in KY (Logan County). At that time, gun season was two 3-day weekends (Sat-Mon)- first weekend of November and first weekend of December.
I do not remember when muzzleloader season was added, but we definitely had it here in 84.

Wobblyshot1

I do not remember when muzzleloader season was added, but we definitely had it here in 84.
I had moved to Rutherford County sometime around 82. I was already heavy into muzzle loading guns and knew several guys in the area with like interest. I remember it started a year or so after my move with opening day being the Monday after juvy weekend and it ran through the following Sunday. Hunted Percy Priest with a couple of friends that opening Monday.....Buckeye Bottoms area. There were no in lines that I saw. BTW, We didn't kill or see deer that day.... I think we've narrowed it down. :)

Willysman

I ran across this while starting to clean up my parents home after the recent passing of my father (mom preceded him). This is from my early days of TN hunting. I always pause and take a look at something like when I run across it and the memories instantly come back. I thought some of you would find it interesting to see how things were and how much they have changed.

What change do see that has surprises you the most ... Or the least.
Obviously the prices have changed.
I forgot just how many eastern counties (or portions of) were closed to all deer hunting.

I hope these pages are readable.

78-79-Hunt-Regs-Pg1-1100x1122.png

78-79-Hunt-Regs-Pg2-1100x1395.png

78-79-Hunt-Regs-Pg3-1200x1479.png

78-79-Hunt-Regs-Pg4-1200x1594.png
First big game hunt for me was in 1961. Tellico then was three 2 day quota hunt. Would go to Tellico High School for the drawing. There was no deer season in McMinn county back then. Still have all the big game booklets that had 4 tags and a post card you sent in if you killed anything. one deer a year was the limit. Boy that was the good old years. Would love to relive them.

BSK

I had moved to Rutherford County sometime around 82. I was already heavy into muzzle loading guns and knew several guys in the area with like interest. I remember it started a year or so after my move with opening day being the Monday after juvy weekend and it ran through the following Sunday. Hunted Percy Priest with a couple of friends that opening Monday.....Buckeye Bottoms area. There were no in lines that I saw. BTW, We didn't kill or see deer that day.... I think we've narrowed it down. :)
Thanks for that info. Definitely had MZ season when I started hunting full-time in TN in '87, and it was just as you described Wobblyshot1, seven days Monday to Sunday.

redblood

Id give anything to go back and hunt those days again (for me mid 80s to early 90s) i know the trophy potential was low, but it was a magical time. No foodplots, no shooting houses. I just take left over lumber from a farm building project, rattle can camo the boards and go to building. It was hunting in its purest form! Many a tree i swung from with a rooe around my waste, boards in both hands and a hammer in my mouth.

TheLBLman

Although I was taken deer hunting in earlier years, it was 1971 when I killed my first deer. The next year, I killed my first one with a bow. There was no muzzleloader season segment, around half TN's counties had no deer season at all, and we had a 1-buck limit in TN in the counties allowing deer hunting. There was also no "juvenile" season segment.

I think it was at about this time (1971) we went to a 2-buck limit, for a while, then it was crazily jacked up to as many as 11 bucks annually if you did archery, muzzleloader, and rifle. The muzzleloader season segment began sometime around the early 1980's. I didn't start participating until 1985.

Also, the archery season segment flat ended on October 31st, and deer season was simply "closed" in between archery & muzzleloader. We also had no deer season during much of December, until what was then called the "2nd segment" gun season became an option the week of Christmas, with the season then closing for good on January 1st. Kinda made Christmas week a more magical time. For me, each day began with deer hunting, then the middle of the day was for quail hunting over some really good "bird" dogs. Fun times.

In 1998, the 11-buck limit ended, and we went back to a 2-buck limit.
Later 3, and now back to 2, which seems a reasonable compromise between quantity & quality.

One thing I do miss about my younger days of hunting:

More people were HUNTERS, who enjoyed more hunting of a variety of game.
THIS is what I believe contributed more people becoming lifetime hunters.
Expanding deer seasons, with the unintended consequence of reducing small-game hunting,
may have done more harm than good to the future of hunting.

Last edited:

tickweed

I killed my first buck on nov 19, 1978 in madison county. A small basket rack 8, looked like a bull elk. That was back when opening day of gun, was opening day. Then muzzleloader came along a few yrs later. Those where the days. Turkeys where still scare for the most part. LBL didnt have any quotes hunts back then, it just had it's own season spring hunt. Open to anyone for like 3 weeks. You would hear 10 to 12 birds a morning. It was like being in turkey heaven. Gene Crutcher's store. Some great memories

TheLBLman

LBL didnt have any quotes hunts back then, it just had it's own season spring hunt. Open to anyone for like 3 weeks. You would hear 10 to 12 birds a morning. It was like being in turkey heaven. Gene Crutcher's store. Some great memories
Yep.
Hearing so many birds gobbling wasn't limited to just LBL, as it was just about any where in TN there was a turkey season.
What happened?

Whatever happened was greatly camouflaged by the expansion of huntable turkey populations into new counties and parts of counties previously void of turkey, as the more established flocks dwindled, and began gobbling less. The statewide hunter "harvest" was rising, as the longer established flocks were dwindling.

Latest posts